Chapter Sixty-One:

February 21st, 1965

Pale sunlight trickled through the cold glass of the large windows of the White House Residence as Jack and Jackie sat together enjoying a quiet lunch. Blair was lying on her purple baby blanket dozing with Clipper lying next to her on the floor, watching her carefully.

A faint shout was heard and Jackie brought her attention to the windows where she could just make out the shapes of her two older children playing in the melting snow and sliding on the cracking ice. The environment reminded her of this year's Inauguration...the last Inauguration for the two of them. The weather was very similar to what it was like outside and her eyes sparkled with the thoughts of Jack's grand speech. People were still talking about it, especially the fact, although injured with bandages under his clothes, he seemed stronger than ever.

The sound of heavy footsteps outside their door caught the attention of both Kennedys and, looking up expectantly, they watched as Bobby tentatively entered, whiter than a sheet.

"Jack?" Bobby asked as he approached.

"Bob?" Jack returned, a puzzled expression crossing his face. "What's wrong? You look like you just saw a ghost."

"The South Vietnamese...," Bobby trailed off and looked with uncertainty at Jackie, not knowing whether he should proceed with her present or not. Catching Jack's eyes, he saw no indication that Jackie should leave so he slowly continued, " The South Vietnamese have surrendered...the war is over but...not exactly in our favor." Crossing his arms with a defeated expression he turned away and added, "I had some hope for the South...even after we pulled out..."

Jack caught Jackie's slightly fearful eyes as Bobby continued on worriedly, looking back at his brother who was listening quietly, "Now they have fallen into Communist hands...do you think this will ruin our relations over there? I know where you stand on the Domino Theory but...if that does happen..."

"Bobby," Jack interrupted gently. "You're too worried. Yes this loss does carry a sting and I too would've rather seen the South become victorious but they were not. As far as our friendships...if anything they might have strengthened. Communism may attempt to spread but I doubt it will make it far. Besides, a country almost needs to be split in views to give this disease a chance. Don't you think?"

"I suppose you're right," Bobby sighed, uncrossing his arms.