Chapter Forty-Eight:

July 28th, 1964 ~ Wexford:

Jackie sat on the stone wall in front of the house as the breeze ruffled her hair and song birds sang in the distance. Jack had suggested she should relax in Wexford after her pregnancy, which she readily agreed to and he also said he would visit her after work.  This was his routine since she left Hyannis Port the 16th.

She found her head turning around to look at where baby Blair was laying in her basket, the shade from the house keeping her out of the sun so she could sleep peacefully. Jack was right, she was a spitting image of her.

Looking back out at the yard and trees, she was surprised to find a black limousine coming up the driveway. Jackie glanced down at her watch, it was only 10:00, it couldn't be Jack.

She then spotted Clint moving from his place by the porch steps, to her far right, toward the car.

Jackie watched curiously as Clint talked to someone through the open driver's window before turning around again, "Mrs. Shaw?" Jackie called softly through the screen door behind her. Mrs. Shaw immediately appeared. "Take Blair inside please."

Mrs. Shaw nodded with a smile and carefully picked up the baby basket and carried her inside; by this time Clint was returning to her.

"Who is it, Mr. Hill?" Jackie asked, her eyes filled with curiosity and faint suspicion.

"It's Bill Greer, Madam," Clint answered. "Your presence is requested at the White House."

She raised a brow, "I'm resting from having a baby; have they forgotten that?"

"We know, Mrs. Kennedy, but it's apparently urgent."

Jackie reluctantly moved off the short wall to call into the house, "Mrs. Shaw, I'm heading out for a little while, alright?"

"Okay, thank-you, Mrs. Kennedy," she replied from somewhere in the house.