Chapter Thirty-One:

Jack groaned as the sun's rays bled through the window and onto his closed eyes. After rolling over he opened his eyes, expecting to find Jackie still asleep, but was instead greeted by Clipper's long snout and his tongue darting out to lick Jack's nose.

He chuckled and pushed Clipper away before looking over him to Jackie's side of the bed; she was gone.

He received a start and became anxious, mainly due to the events of last night, but once he heard the shower running and spotted the clock reading 10:19, he relaxed.

After giving Clipper a pat to the head, he rose from the bed and grabbed his robe. As he tied it around his waist he looked out the window; nothing seemed out of place, everything was okay despite that being far from reality. With a sigh he decided to go downstairs and get some coffee and hopefully answers revolving around last night's incident.

Jack was pouring himself some coffee when he heard the front door open and, turning around, he saw Clint walking in. "Sir?"

"Yes, Clint?" Jack returned with a smile before sitting at the table. "Would you sit down?"

"No thank-you, Sir."

Jack nodded his head and took a sip of coffee.

"I want to apologize for last night, Mr. President," Clint began after a beat.

"You weren't even on duty," Jack replied meeting his eyes.

"I know, but I should've been," Clint continued.

"You can't do everything," Jack tried to reassure. "This could have happened on a night you weren't off duty. All I care about now is if you guys found out who it was."

"We have. It was paparazzi, Sir. A certain, Ron Galella," Clint answered.

Jack raised an eyebrow, "Quite the bolder kind, wouldn't you say? Why would he be here in the night?"

"He claimed that the compound with the moonlight would make a fantastic picture."

Jack stifled a scoff and took another sip of coffee, some people these days...