Chapter Eleven:

"It's so pretty," Caroline smiled as she delicately ran her fingers across the gold bracelet her mother gave her. The bracelet wrapped around Caroline's wrist in the shape of a running cat with ruby chipped eyes. "Thank-you!"

"You're welcome, Darling," Jackie returned affectionately, hugging her daughter before turning to John. "And I know you'll like what I got you."

"What is it, Mummy!?" John squealed excitedly as he bobbed up and down next to his sister, a sucker in his mouth.

Jackie grinned as she reached behind her and pulled something out of her bag. John stopped bouncing and watched her with wide eyes, slowly taking the sucker out of his mouth.

Before John knew what was happening, Jackie drew out John's surprise with a playful, "Rawr!" and tossed it at him, hitting him in the stomach.

John shrieked in surprise as he giggled and held the silky stuffed animal, an Egyptian black cat with a beaded and jeweled gold collar. He found the large collar and the cat's makeup hilarious and began to run about the room pretending to have his stuffie jump from table to table.

Jackie's smile widened as Caroline smirked and shouted to him, "John, what do you say?"

He stopped with a huge smile and hugged the animal tightly, shouting, "I'll love him forever, Mummy! Thank-you!"

Jackie stood up then and watched as John let Caroline hold his cat as she helped him try on her bracelet.

Walking over to Jack, who was sitting in his rocker watching the whole scene, she heard him say, "You know, if it wasn't for my allergies, I wouldn't mind having a cat. I liked the one Caroline had here for a while."

"We could always get a hairless one," Jackie teased.

"Ugh!" Jack grimaced, making a face as he shook his head. "That must be the ugliest cat out there." Jackie laughed. "Besides, I want something I can cuddle with."

"That's what you have me for," Jackie whispered with a smirk before Pierre knocked on the door and walked in.

"Uh, Mr. President, we're ready for you downstairs."

"Thank-you, Pierre, I'll be right down," Jack replied as he stood up with a slow stretch.

"How's your back, Bunny?" Jackie asked him gently, fixing his collar.