Chapter Twenty-Five:

March 16th, 1964

~*~*~*~*~

"You better not be having second thoughts about this," a low voice growled, the vowels of each word seeming to be slightly stressed.

The taller man he was addressing shifted in his seat as he struggled to keep eye contact with the bigger man. He felt trapped, forced to submit to this much older man...the power...the things he knew...just intimidated him to the point where he quickly shook his head in reply and whispered in a slight accent, "No."

"Good," the older man returned, his voice losing the sharp edge as he continued, "We have to rethink our strategy. Someone must've tipped off the President about something that now he's so paranoid and increased his detail."

"What ever happened to Oswald and that whole plan of yours...what happened there?" The other man suddenly sneered, finding his voice.

"You tell me," he growled as he stared down his accomplice. "You were the one who was supposed to get everything arranged for Dallas."

"I...I messed up..."

"You're damn right you did. I intend on making sure you don't do it again..."

~*~*~*~*~

The sun was almost completely below the horizon as the sky blazed with fiery reds and oranges, turning the sky into a deep indigo. Jack was just about to head inside after a brisk walk when he heard the soft squeaks of the trampoline Jackie had put outside, hidden from sight by tall trees.

Curious, Jack headed into the trees, ducking under a few branches before coming into sight of Jackie bouncing on her trampoline without a care in the world, just completely relaxed.

After watching her jump for about a minute, Jack spoke out as he walked toward her, "I didn't expect you to be out here this late yet."

Jackie instantly spun around mid-jump at the sound of his voice, slightly surprised, before relaxing again as she eased her jumping and bounced over to the edge of the trampoline. "I just needed to ease some stress," Jackie replied as she sat down, her legs dangling over the edge.

"I think I understand why," Jack told her as he moved to sit next to her. "We both know tomorrow can be a somewhat unpleasant reminder."

She nodded as she looked down at her swinging feet, answering, "St. Patrick's Day...it shouldn't be unpleasant though...Patrick was...he was that last little push we both needed to finally get the closeness we've always wanted. Yes he...passed on, but...that doesn't change what he did for us."