Chapter Forty-Four:

July 2nd, 1964:

It was two days since Jack revealed the assassination plot to the Nation, which soon spread throughout the whole world. Many were furious with Lyndon but many more saw what Jack was trying to get across to them in his speech. There were only a couple small uproars where pictures of Lyndon where burned but those seemed to die out into the night, proving that they were nothing more than little sparks of rage that got out of control.

Today was the day that a new Vice President was sworn in and once the short ceremony was finished, Jack shook Sam Rayburn's hand as he took over that position. "Thank-you, Mr. Rayburn," Jack smiled to him upon releasing his hand.

"I will assume any position for you, Mr. President," Sam replied with a grin. "You're welcome; let's just hope the Nation is as accepting of me as you are. All of us here want you to win this coming election."

Jack let out a small chuckle, "I'm sure they'll all welcome you with open arms. Now, Mr. Vice President, would you care to join me in the Treaty Room for the signing of the Civil Rights Act?"

"I wouldn't miss it for the world. I'm so happy Congress finally allowed you to pass it; I was hoping," Sam returned, moving to follow the President over to the Treaty Room.

"Will your wife be present?" He asked as they entered the room.

"Not for this one, no," Jack answered before greeting the Press and Martin King.

"This is a true gift from God," Martin said emotionally to Jack as he shook his hand firmly. "Thank-you."

"No thanks needed, it's my pleasure; don't forget, I have a dream too," Jack smiled to him, causing Martin to nod with small traces of tears at the corners of his eyes.

Once Jack signed his name amongst all the others on the Civil Rights Act of 1964, a flashbulb going off as he did so, he turned once again to Martin and gave him a large smile and a nod. Martin could only smile back, he was far too emotional for anything else.