Chapter Six:

Monday, November 25th, 1963

~*~*~*~*~

"Mummy and Daddy's home!" John squealed the moment he heard Marine One in the distance.

John started to run around excitedly while Caroline sat laughing, their nanny, Mrs. Shaw, standing nearby with a smile.

When the helicopter began to land, Mrs. Shaw grabbed John's hand and held him by her saying, "Now, John, wait till your daddy and mother come to you; don't go running over to the copter while it's running."

John giggled in understanding as he began to bounce happily, watching as the helicopter landed on the freshly cut lawn.

Just as the propellers where slowing down, Jack and Jackie ducked out of the helicopter and knelt down to greet John and Caroline, who tore across the grass and into their parents' waiting arms.

"Hey, Buttons," Jack smiled brightly as he hugged and kissed his daughter, while John bowled Jackie over and hugged her tightly shouting,

"Mummy! Mummy! It's my birthday today!"

Jackie laughed as she laid on her back and held her son close, "Yes, John, and wait till you see the surprise we have for you."

"I love you, Mummy!" John giggled, giving her a hug and a quick kiss before climbing off her and dashing over to his daddy, allowing Jackie to sit up and hug her daughter.

"So were they good for you while we were gone?" Jackie asked Mrs. Shaw, who was watching at a distance as Jackie fixed Caroline's blue bow which was falling out of her hair.

"Little darlings as always," Mrs. Shaw smiled.

"Was there ever any doubt?!" Jack laughed as he stood up, taking John's hand, Caroline quickly taking his free hand.

"Mummy!" John smiled, as he waved out his other hand, Jackie taking it before they all headed across the lawn toward the White House.

Once they were inside, Mrs. Shaw took the children up to the residence, to prepare for the party, while Jackie followed Jack to the Oval. His secretary, Mrs. Lincoln, most likely had stacks of organized letters and documents for him to sift through, read, and sign.

After shooting a smile at Mrs. Lincoln, Jack entered his office, Jackie closing the door behind him, and sighed at the stack of papers that awaited him.

"Well it could be worse," he said as he walked behind his desk and picked up the top packet. "This isn't too much work."

"Did you know Lee invited me back to Greece yesterday?" Jackie asked, after a moment, from where she stood in the middle of the room, watching.

"She did?" Jack replied, looking up as he tensed slightly. The last time Jackie was in Greece she was with Onassis.

"Yeah. Apparently Stas and her met with some more dignitaries from Egypt who want to meet me," Jackie answered as she moved toward him, sensing right away that he was uneasy.

Once she was next to him, she took his hands and turned him so he was facing her. "You should come with me. She said we'd meet up in Greece first then sail through the Mediterranean to Egypt. And I know you're fascinated by Egyptian culture and history as much as I am and that you enjoyed Egypt the last time we were there."

Jack was intrigued and replied, "I'd love to go; I just need to make sure I have nothing coming up."

Jack's tone suddenly turned protective as he possessively pulled her closer to him, "Uh...is Onassis going to be there?"

Jackie shrugged, "She didn't say. I'm assuming we're taking one of her ships to Egypt."

Now Jack really wanted to go, to protect her. He didn't trust Onassis any more than Satan.

"Alright...," Jack began, running his thumb over her knuckles. "Just...you know how I feel about Onassis and you know I only let you go to Greece with him last time because...of Patrick..." She squeezed his hands tighter. "So try not to cross paths with him again, alright? I don't want anything to happen to you."

She nodded, "I'll try."

"Promise?"

"I promise."

Jack smiled at her before leaning down and kissing her softly. "Let's go upstairs and celebrate with John; my paperwork can wait till tonight."

"Or tomorrow," Jackie smirked as she walked away leaving Jack confused.

"Wait, what?" He called to her, rounding around his desk.

Opening the door, she looked over her shoulder and winked at him before disappearing out into the hall. Jack laughed before following her out.