Chapter Thirty-Eight:

June 25th, 1964

~*~*~*~*~

Bobby had his face in his hands as he sat across from Jack in the Oval, "I just...I just can't believe he was shot..."

"Who found him?" Jack asked quietly.

Bobby moved his hands away from his face and looked down, "His wife...oh God I could never imagine..."

"Why did he call you?" Jack questioned, looking into his brother's distressed eyes.

"I wish I knew...he didn't get the chance to tell me but he resigned from the FBI and was about to blow the whistle on something."

Jack bit his lip and turned around to look out the window, "This is getting outta hand."

"I'm the last person you need to tell that to," Bobby agreed, leaning back with another sigh.

"I know," Jack whispered slowly, turning back around.

~*~*~*~*~

Lyndon was home in Washington and just got ready to leave for another campaign trip when the phone rang. Lady Bird was in the back yard gardening so he quickly walked into the kitchen to retrieve it.

"Hello?"

"Lyndon?" a voice returned. It was Oswald.

"Yes...Lee, my God, I thought you disappeared on me; where have you been?" Lyndon questioned with a sigh of relief.

"Around," Oswald smirked. "I've been working on something...your mob friends seem to approve it too."

"Like what?" Lyndon returned, his voice growing anxious. "I didn't authorize you to do anything."