Chapter Sixty-Three:

June 5, 1968:

The night air was buzzing with excitement as two sleek, black cars pulled up in front of the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles, California. Bobby and Jack got out of the first one while Ethel and Jackie came out of the one directly behind. As the women locked arms with their men, press cameras wheeled left and right taking in everything and everyone while those with microphones reported the goings on. The sight was typical to what you would see in California when an important event was underway: masses of people crowding behind velvet ropes that run along some form of a walkway, in this case one of cobblestone, shouts of excitement, and bright flashes of cameras.

As the Kennedys walked up the cobblestone towards the large, revolving, glass doors of the Ambassador Hotel, police forces and secret service persistently pushed back quite a few rowdy people who, in their excitement, got a bit too close.

Bobby and Ethel were in front of the President and First Lady, beaming brightly while Jack and Jackie looked on with pride trying not to draw too much attention to themselves. This was Bobby and Ethel's night.

Once the four passed through the glittering doors, the sounds of the crowd dulled to a low muffle as they were replaced by the hum of fans cooling off the interior of the hotel. "Right this way, Mr. Kennedy," A tall tailored man smiled, seemingly coming out of nowhere to guide them to the reception hall in which Robert would give his victory speech.

"Thank-you," Bobby smiled before his brother joked behind him in a soft voice,

"You sound nervous, Brother."

"I am a little if you must know," Bobby smirked before looking to his wife who gave him a reassuring smile.

"You'll do wonderfully, I just know it," Ethel beamed just as the doors to the reception hall were opened and the four were greeted by another massive crowd somewhat more organized than the last.

The secret service took control of their movements now and safely guided the Kennedys through the now clapping crowd towards a small stage containing a lectern with multiple microphones and a sign that read "Los Angeles Ambassador Hotel" on the front for the cameras.

Jack and Jackie went to stand to the far back side of the stage to keep themselves from unintentionally stealing Robert's spotlight, while Bobby confidently walked up to the microphones, pushing back his hair as Ethel came to stand behind his right shoulder with a supportive smile. He nodded at her, before turning to the crowd and beginning his speech of victory...