Two weeks

Wesley returned to the inn, "Who is he?" He asked removing his coat and hat. His father was a close confidant of Marquis Silas who supported the emperor, so they had Matthew Whittet, a second level mage who was adept at gathering information and basic warding. He'd sent a guard to the town, but he wouldn't be back until tomorrow.

"He's a common village boy, nothing suspicious. Their family moved there two generations ago, the grandfather died three years ago in a small skirmish and the grandmother died last year in her sleep. While they've thrived with the sale of corn and potatoes, they only recently bought a few acres of land due to selling early and high quality to a restaurant in town. The only odd thing is the boy is rather stand offish and holds petty grudges." Matthew informed reading from a report he'd gathered from stall owners and staff from the restaurant.

Wesley tapped his hand on the table as he thought about the conversation, then wrote it down verbatim for his father. He also added his own thoughts along with questions he planned to ask. Tomorrow may be more interesting than he thought.

Since they had only bought a few items, their cart was carrying Lisa and her mother for 3 copper coins. Unfortunately, Ashton was still going over the conversation in his head again, he'd never been the talkative sort, but he'd had to restrain himself for so long. His family was well off now, and if they were able to keep up at their current pace they would be able to save at least 100 silvers this year. If they continued to slowly buy land, then they could rent it out, and maybe... he would attend school to be deemed competent enough to be a small landowner. Then he'd earn enough for his family of three to be able to travel in the next five years.

Thomas patted Ashton's shoulder as they entered the village, he'd always been quiet around others, but he was clearly thinking too hard for any teenager his age. "Let's see what your ma has for dinner." He comforted as they broke away from the others, still 18 silvers richer.

While they ate Ashton and Thomas talked about their day, even the merchant was mentioned. Luckily, they weren't planning another trip for two weeks so he should be long gone. Ashton even reenacted the bard's tales with his own flare, bringing smiles to the couple before they washed and settled in for the night.

Two weeks later Ashton and Thomas made their way to town, while there were three other families also bringing wares, only their cart was filled, and their back baskets filled. Again, they went directly to Connor's restaurant, this time they brought 8 sacks of corn flour so made 26 silvers. As they were eating and chatting the doors opened and an unfortunately familiar merchant walked right to their table to sit down.

"Master Thomas, young Ashton, so glad to see you again! You as well master Connor." Wesley jovially called as he sat down, a waiter was already bringing him bread and tea. Thomas was only briefly surprised before taking a large swig of his drink.

"Young master Wesley, to what do we owe the honor?" Thomas asked turning this unwavering stare to Connor.

Connor gave a dry cough, "Master Wesley regularly visits, and when he heard we do regular business he asked of your next visit, well here he is." He added a little strained, clearly he was simply caught in the middle.

"I was so impressed with our last chat, I just had to see you both one more time before I returned to the capital, come now, I also have a gift." Wesley added bringing out a small pouch and placing in front of Ashton, "No need to be shy, consider it a belated meeting gift."

Ashton eyed Wesley up with a fake smile, "Ah, forgive us, we didn't bring anything,"

Wesley continued to beam at the young man, "Like I said, no need to be shy, your information was more than gift enough, I'm embarrassed to be so late to bring something." He added refusing to take the pouch back.

Ashton weighed the pros and cons, if he was stubborn this merchant might follow him around. Then again, having met him at Connor's was more interest than he was expecting. Either this merchant was more than he claimed, or he had a special interest; neither reason welcome but the latter could be handled.

"Many thanks then Sir," Ashton nodded pulling the pouch closer and opening it. Inside were two scented candles, and three smaller packages. Ash pulled them out, each contained a spice far too expensive for a commoner's family. Pepper, cumin, and ground cloves.

"While we do have rarer spices, I thought these would be best as gifts, and if you like we can sell them at a discount next time." Wesley added, Ashton looked mildly surprised but not really impressed.

"Again, many thanks, hopefully our little talk was worthy of such kind gifts." Ash thanked; he attached the pouch to his waist. "Was there anything else we could help you with?" He added almost as an afterthought as he glanced at the door.

Welsey smiled brightly, "Ah, nothing much, I was just wondering if you had any other thoughts that might affect a little merchant such as myself." He added as he started sipping on his tea.

Ash gave an embarrassed smile, "I've been too busy at home to have paid attention to any new news," he added with another glance to the door, if Wesley knew they'd be here, then he knew Ash usually went around the market alone in the mornings.

"Ah, of course, maybe next time! I intend to pass by every 4 months or so, perhaps we might share another meal then." Wesley offered, he didn't want to overplay his hand, he stood up and they all walked out together after they said their goodbyes.

Ashton didn't bother to hide that he gave 20 of the silvers to his father before taking off to see if the bard was still around, Thomas went to pick up needed supplies for the family.

Wesley sighed, he'd woken up so early and of course they were still on guard against him. Fortunately the guard he'd sent to the village would be back at the inn to give a full report. He'd decided to have two guards work independently; one to gather information about the family of three and the other about Palmer village.

Brandon and Matthew were waiting in his room, "So, after two weeks, what else do we know?" Wesley asked with a practiced smile as they all sat down.