Desperation

Ashton could barely suppress all his mixed emotions. No, they weren't just mixed, they were rapidly rising. Ashton knew the dragon blessing wasn't just for show, but he hadn't expected the overwhelming negative emotions. The quartz enchantment may have been like blinders, but that didn't stop the others from desperately trying to claw at the small opening Lucian's pig headedness had created in his emotional state.

Ashton took a deep breath, trying to shove the others away while settling his emotions. Ashton slowly settled his emotions to consider what Lucian's goal was. Ashton had to calm himself, what did Lucian want. Alphonse was dead, the next best thing was...

Lucian wanted to curse, they were falling further and further behind. At this rate Ashton might really escape his grasp. "N-"

Aaron cut Lucian off, "We will compensate, and provide a private room in the palace. Devlin will personally ward it so only you and those with your permission can enter, as well as increase your stipend to 200 gold. I will also personally ensure any instruments or musical desires met to your standards. Not even his Majesty will be able to enter, we will also ensure the entire room is warded against spying to the level of his majesty's conference room." He added nodding to Devlin and Lucian.

Ashton put the tea down, then took a deep breath. "If I sleep with you here and now, can I go home?" Lucian's obsession could only result in two outcomes... he had wanted to fuck Alphonse... or preferably wanting to kill off any last trace of Alphonse for some imagined grievance. Since Lucian was convinced, he was related to Alphonse they wouldn't let go until Lucian had given up his obsession.

Ashton ignored the pit in his stomach as he continued to shove his emotions down. If a few days here would settle Lucian... it was better than ending up in the capital where every possible situation would only get worse. Ashton continued to stare at his cup... he had endured worse, this would barely tickle.

Devlin and Bert stared slack jawed, "What?" Devlin choked out.

Ashton clench his fist as a deliberate show, "I will swear by mage oath, to not resist, to never interfere with the Empire's politics above that of a common farmer, and to give you a way to find Alphonse's journal; if after you leave the Marquis residence I can return home to Palmer." There were worse fates, there were worse situations. A few days and he'd be able to continue with his plans.

The wind went right out of Lucian's sails... had Ashton... really thought that he'd been taking him to the capital... to use him for sex? Had David or Bert ever put that in his head? Lucian watched as Ashton was trembling as he waited for an answer... "That wasn't my intension." Lucian tried to explain. When Ashton's head jerked up his eyes were shining with suppressed emotion.

Ashton stilled, surely everyone could hear how unconvincing Lucian's own answers were. Unfortunately, that tiny pause had been enough for the others to rip his control away.

"Then what? What do you want from me? Evidence? Answers? You'll have both. The Seibellain throne? You could have taken it when Alphonse died twelve years ago. Revenge? Sex? What? What do I have to give up so I can go home?" Ashton finally demanded standing up. Instead of fighting, better to let the emotions wash through himself. Ashton steered the negative emotions rather than stopped them.

Lucian was startled... some invisible line had been crossed but he didn't know what, "Why don't you want to go to the capital?" he asked hearing his own bewilderment. Ashton choked out a laugh of disbelief.

"What moron would want to be kidnapped and dragged away from his home? Who would rather be surrounded by nobles who would chomp at the bits to catch your weakness? Even here I have to protect myself from your ignorance and negligence. What about my situation would improve at the capital?! You can't even keep me housed or fed... what fool would believe you would keep me safe?!" Ashton demanded as he stared down Lucian. "Strength isn't everything." Ashton sneered.