Charmaine

Ashton ate alone, then gathered up a basket with a covered gift inside as he headed out. He decided to take a leisurely stroll over to the Southern Palace. No doubt his intended target would invite him for a visit. After wandering the Southern Garden for less than ten minutes a palace maid approached extremely respectfully with a formal bow.

"No need for such formalities, I'm hoping my temporary intrusion won't inconvenience anyone." Ashton informed happily helping the maid up. "As I am away from my own gardens hopefully your mistress doesn't mind... an insignificant passerby." Ashton continued taking the maids arm while his two guards tensed but remained silent.

Sandra immediately understood the young man's intensions as she gratefully stood and escorted him deeper into the gardens. When her majesty's guards had informed them of the intrusion they had rushed to prepare. "Her Majesty was worried our new friend would be unfamiliar enough to visit, but we dare not send an invitation until you had settled in. You are always welcome to come enjoy the gardens." She replied graciously.

Ashton kept his polite smile as they chatted. He didn't miss when the maid's eyes narrowed when one of the guards left. Ashton let her see his dispassionate glance, "My deepest apologies, my name is Ashton Reece, might I catch your name beautiful?" He teased turning his head forward again.

Sandra didn't miss his disapproval of the guards, she also reasoned his majesty wouldn't have thought about her majesty's face when someone else moved into the Eastern palace. She gave a beaming smile, "My name is Sandra Claybourne, I am the head maid of her majesty Empress Charmaine Brianna Luthiger Smyrna." She reported formally as she pulled away from his arm to drop into a deep curtsey as they entered her Majesty's personal greenhouse.

Empress Charmaine was dressed elegantly in a casual red dress with blue shawl while sipping on tea, Sandra's introduction indicated this Ashton wasn't hostile. Charmaine gave gracious smile, "Please, join me." Charmaine called waving to the already prepared seat and refreshments.

Ashton gave a formal bow, then sat down while placing the basket on the edge of the table. "Hopefully my unannounced intrusion has not upset you too greatly your Majesty. Truth be told, I was rather... befuddled by my accommodations, especially as my stay will only be temporary."

Ashton examined the empress, she had rich black hair in a loose updo, several hair pins that had pearls dangling, her grey eyes had softened considerably since he sat down. She was beautiful the way a leopard was beautiful, appreciated from a distance. Each finger was adorned with enchanted rings, an enchanted diamond choker, and enchanted golden bracelets. The Empress had clearly been prepared for anything.

Charmaine nodded sipping her tea, "His Majesty's mind is often hard to fathom," while she and Lucian were little better than business partners, she was aware how... striking Ashton's resemblance to a certain portrait Lucian kept tucked away. Charmaine had seen it over the years of course, as they had both needed the ruby more than once.

Ashton caught the implication as he leaned back, "Of course, though I have information his majesty wants, our contract was quite clear." Ashton deliberately empowered the contract enough for her to see the count down.

Charmaine's gaze flickered to the contract then to Ashton's polite smile, so he wasn't staying of his own free will. Charmaine furrowed her brows as she assessed him again, he was about the right age, "Perhaps you are a visitor from afar?" Charmaine inquired with a slightly more genuine smile.

Ashton leaned forward to pick up the tea, "Not so far as one would think, though travels may be in my future. Personally, court life is... rather arduous, though I will miss the tea." Ashton added in a sigh as he took his first sip.