Don't need friends

Sebastian wasn't surprised Ashton didn't agree to meet with him, Lucian had basically demanded he request an audience. Sebastian had simply used his seal to stamp the remade letter. While he was concerned the youth didn't attend to court, if anything had happened surely Ashton would have sent word.

Finally, the day before the tribute delegations were set to start arriving Ashton finally answered a missive to have tea. By the time word traveled back, Devlin, two apprentice mages, Bert, Aaron, all three dukes, Leonard, Lucian, Charmaine, Charles, and the three priests would be in attendance.

When Ashton arrived the already tense group watched him like he would burst into flames on the spot. He didn't bother to greet them as he lazily sat in his chair.

Everyone was trading glances as the servant's brought tea and pastries, no one spoke even after Devlin started the anti-spying ward.

"If you all just wanted to stare, you could always just paint a portrait." Ashton remarked as he stirred his tea without glancing up. Not only were the souls so dense he could only see a few feet in front of himself, they were no longer sitting at the table as equals who deserved his undivided attention.

"Are you ascending into a dragon?" Devlin asked bluntly. There was no point in wasting time beating around the bush, nor did any of the dragon descendants usually have the patience for it.

Ashton let his lip curl ever so slightly, "Your understanding of dragons is rather warped if you believe I resemble one." He sneered. When everyone looked at the priests as Bodin cleared his throat.

"The dragon heart of Emperor Smyrna only reacts to dragon kin, and started to beat the day you entered the capital." Bodin reminded, they had also seen his fire melt through the palace's enchantments. Bodin couldn't even think of a beast who's fire could overpower a full grown dragon.

Ashton gave a dismissive smile, "Then you should probably refresh your studies. I am aware dragons aren't known for their intellect; but I admit I expected more from the faithful." Even if Bodin hadn't been pope for long, he was actively adjusting the enchantments in the palace and that wretched holy curse.

"Are you ascending?" Lucian finally demanded before Bodin could continue; whatever Ashton was doing it was clearly drawing in a lot of mana.

"You'll find out tomorrow, I'm sure. Though I'm surprised you have time to question my existence since you have yet to finish the ward, have not found the rebels, have not confirmed the identities of the murders, or even thought about what you'll do once you know the truth." Ashton remarked with a polite smile as he raised a brow. Of all the concerns they had, he should be low on their list of priorities.

"Having friends doesn't hurt, we can help you ascend." Bodin cut in drawing attention to what was important. Finding murders from decades past wasn't useful to them now, and if the young beast stayed, the emperor could get his answers later.

"Friends? I pity the fool who would believe you to be a friend." Ashton replied caustically as he turned to Lucian. "Perhaps a reminder from before I entered the capital is in order."

Then he snapped his fingers as a quick, light melody started and everyone was paralyzed in their seats. Unlike before where he only had a guitar, this time his golems played an angry, forceful rendition as he sang.

Hey, have you ever heard me say

I'd rather be straight forward

I think I've said it twice today

This is me, the way I am

Truly content, need nothing grand