Obsessions

Ashton lay looking at the ceiling, his vision had adapted to the dark but... some darkness needed light to banish it. Ashton pulled out two quarts and crushed them, they would temporarily impeded his sight of the others.

Ashton debated sneaking out... but then he really would be a prisoner when he was caught, and he would get caught. If he could find a couple of 3rd and 4th tier mana crystals, he could continue to fix his mana channels, and hopefully break into the fifth tier before they reached the capital.

Ashton sighed as he thought about the pain he'd have to go through. Either way this was a lose lose situation, either he suffered now and was able to ignore the worst of the dragon blessing, or he'd have to endure the blessed at all hours of the day. Ashton sighed... if the dragon blessing was this strong at a Marquis manner... the capital could only be worse.

Ashton had to negotiate even a little time away from Lucian and Devlin, it would only take an hour or two tops for him to make the breakthrough then hide the evidence, but he'd be vulnerable and pulsing like a beacon the entire time. Not to mention... he'd be in crippling pain for a good portion of those two hours. Ashton sat up and using three quartz he made a temporary rift in space to pull out a few bags. After he picked out two bags of quartz he started carving and making delicate, untraceable enchantments that could only be seen with his permission.

Leonard was surprised to learn Ashton had gone out to the garden first thing in the morning to do his own exercises. His guards had a training ground within sight of where Ashton was, he decided to go take a look and was thoroughly impressed.

Ashton had run 4 laps around the garden, making sure to stay in sight of the guards as he'd promised the maid who'd led him out. He also did frog jumps, back handsprings, double tucks, would walk back and forth on his hands and made sure to stretch for flexibility. Like magic, speed and reflexes often saved your life more than brute strength.

Ashton exercised for a little over two hours after finishing his warmup runs. The maid was waiting for him with a warmed towel and jacket, since he was soaked through with sweat, he gratefully accepted as she started to lead him back to his room.

Leonard waited until Ashton was following the maid to call out, "You're up early young master Ashton, hopefully you rested well."

Ashton stopped to politely bao and wait for Marquis Silas to catch up, "Morning my lord, I hope I didn't disturb your men." Ashton didn't comment on the sleep.

"Not at all, they were rather impressed, have you taken any sword lessons?" Leonard asked as he waved the maid away, for such a slender frame to run the same amount as his guards was a feat in itself.

Ashton deliberately eyed the Marquis, "No my lord, I haven't dared even imitate such training as a farmer."

"Ah, of course, perhaps you'd like to try? You may yet become a knight of the realm." Leonard offered with a slight smile.

Ashton shook his head, "I was born a simple farmer, and I intend to follow in my father's footsteps." Ashton hinted as they ascended the stairs, he also caught the narrowing of Leonard's eyes... they should have done a full investigation on his family background... farmers and small stall owners for generations.

Leonard smiled brightly at Ashton's inquisitive glance, "Father's do tend to be very influential parts of our lives, blood is thicker than water after all."

Ashton raised an eye to Leonard, "Forgive my disrespect my lord, but blood isn't everything." Ashton was getting the sense they thought he was some hidden noble's son... which would make sense given his insight but surely the mages would have ruled out any hidden teachers or questionable visitors.