Silas Winter market

Ashton let a guard accompany him, first he didn't know the area and no need to take the full mile they had extended to him. He spent the first two hours visiting the most popular stalls, then saw a parade passing though. When he sat to watch a play of the empire, he informed the guard he'd be here until the play ended if the guard wanted to go his own way.

While the guard hesitated, he asked one of the local guards keeping the peace to inform him if Ashton left, then decided to kill some time elsewhere. He'd been ordered to only make a note of when, where and how long Ashton was alone, not to follow or investigate.

Ashton made sure to create two illusions using the quartz, one would be a golem with his appearance to watch and record the play, the second so no one would notice his temporary absence. He had an hour to return to the mana stone shop where he sold over one hundred quartz enchantments so he could buy seven 4th tier mana stones. He rushed back and took his place again as he finished watching the play.

After the play the guard led Ashton around more popular tourists' spots when Ashton seemed to show interest in the carving of enchantments by a third-tier mage. The guard sat and watched but was bored out of his mind as Ashton seemed extremely curious. Ashton used his golem to once again take his place as he went off to rent a room for some privacy.

Ashton took a deep breath as he glanced at the mana stones, not as effective as mana crystals but quantity would make up for the quality. Mana stones were gems, typically cheaper gems like quartz, that were artificially infused with mana. While mana crystals were created when natural mana deposits gathered.

Ashton had bought fourth tier mana stones, so they were made of moonstone. Ashton set up sound dispersal wards, and seals around the room then sat on the bed as he closed his eyes. This... this was going to be a long two hours...

Ashton had underestimated how much time it would take for him to recover. He was barely walking faster than a hobble as he made his way back to the third-tier mage's stall. Ashton felt like he'd ripped his muscles out, then tried to put them back blindfolded. He'd used more than twenty of his premade quartz to clean himself up to look slightly better than death. While he was still pale, the firelight made it hard to see his complexion. As the mage wrapped his lesson up Ashton stumbled as he stood up.

They sat for over three hours until the market was over then took the carriage back. Ashton had been clearly exhausted from the night out, barely able to keep his eyes open as a maid led him to his room. The guard was tested for any magical influence then gave a full report to Devlin, Leonard, and Lucian.

Leonard tapped his fingers, the only suspicious points were the play, but Ashton had shown interest in such entertainment for years; then when he watched the carving of enchantments. For now, they didn't question it, but they would pay attention in the future.

Devlin had also sent a message via the imperial mage relay. Lucian had ordered Jaxon to prepare all the reports of their time in Seibel, as well as informing Jaxon about the subtle accusation from Alphonse's possible child.

Duke Darning had expressed his understanding and swore to cooperate in any investigation upon their return. Now... they just had to negotiate Ashton's attitude in the capital.

When Ashton arrived, he gave a formal bao, "Good afternoon my lord, how can I be of services?" He asked, he was rather surprised no one else was here.

"I thought this would go better alone young master Ashton, his majesty and other others agreed to defer to my judgement. Please join me for some tea." Leonard explained pouring the lemon tea but only adding half the honey as last time.

Ashton sat and accepted the tea, "Then let us not speak in riddles. How will I be introduced?" Ashton was in a relatively good mood after managing to break into the fifth-tier last night, even the pain and spasms he felt reminded him he was getting stronger. He could now start making real preparations for his escape. He'd have to be careful of the dozens of mages his majesty and other nobles employed, but unless several dozen all jumped him with the resolution to die, he'd be able fool even the craftiest fox.