Square one

Leonard, Aaron, Devlin, and Lucian were back in the office, everyone was hesitant to speak. Eventually Aaron took a deep breath and began.

"Well, we learned there is proof of Alphonse's murder, that there is some connection between Alphonse and Ashton, and that Ashton really, really, really does not want to go the capital. We are also aware Ashton is very careful about not overstepping his position so that should probably be our first order of business." Aaron announced as Leonard went over more reports with a fine-toothed comb.

"I disagree, first we should gather supplies for Ashton then let him go to market with funds to purchase any supplies he feels he's lacking." Leonard quickly shot down without looking up. Ashton had already made his discontent known over the travel arrangements and if they were leaving in two days there was much to be done.

"What do you mean let him go? Surely you are aware he can't be left alone." Aaron argued before Lucian to say anything.

"If he plans to run it won't be until after we get to the capital, right now we need to do damage control. If we show up in the capital and he starts every conversation that he's there under duress it will undermine his majesty's authority and prestige. After his mood settles, we can discuss our plans for the capital." Leonard then turned to Lucian. "He needs space away from you your majesty, the entire party."

Lucian clenched his fist, the more he thought the more the emotional outburst seemed out of character. Something was off, and he felt they were all dancing into Ashton's hands. Leonard finally put his papers down and sighed, drawing his attention.

"Your majesty, he's a child. I'm surprised he was able to keep his composure this long under such pressure. He would be a magnificent heir to any house, the problem is he doesn't have any confidants to confide in. Even I need to vent from time to time. He has been stalked and watched for two years, then informed he was being kidnapped, then had his every move for over two months watched, given the impossible option of feigning ignorance and becoming a criminal, or suffering during the journey physically because of lack of preparation and emotionally from your expectations and guards' hostility." Leonard decided to spell everything out for Lucian.

"Yes, he may have used his emotional outburst to try and earn some advantage, but even after showing such weakness and begging the only change is he is now aware that nothing he is willing to give will be enough. Both sides are now aware we will have to forcibly take every step of the way. So now he will have to fight for any advantage and hold any secrets even closer. Our only options are to shatter him into pieces and pick through the rubble to find out the truth, or slowly chisel away at the roughest edges to reveal his truths. So, pick now so I don't waste my time and efforts your majesty." Leonard challenged.

Lucian felt as if he'd been slapped several times, "Of course We didn't want to break him." He gritted out.

Leonard deliberately eyed Lucian, "Then I will see to his travel arrangements and accommodations, please ensure your retinue abides with my direction starting immediately. After lunch I will see if Ashton is still interested in our winter market and inform him, he need only return after the market ends. If he wishes to have a guide, we will of course provide one, but no one is to follow him. Even if he has plans of escaping or meeting someone now is not the time to investigate."

After another two hours of negotiating among the group each set off to set their plans in motion. When they met for lunch Ashton didn't have a hair out of place, even with them sneaking peeks he paid them no mind.

Leonard asked Ashton to meet him for an after lunch walk to help digest, Ashton politely agreed with the same dispassionate smile. Leonard wanted to have some small chit chat, but Ashton only gave politely interested answers. With a sigh he explained that a carriage would be ready if he still wished to go to market and any purchases would be paid by the Marquis manor.

Ashton continued to listen but didn't agree or disagree. He politely responded to keep conversation going but this had all been predictable, and even if Leonard said no one would follow him he knew better. Fortunately, he should be able to raise to a fifth tier before he returned. It should take him a few weeks to settle and consolidate then while he was in the capital, he should have many opportunities to advance to sixth... and then back to seventh.

Leonard sighed as he stopped halfway back from the garden, "He's been obsessed with Alphonse since he was a child." he muttered as if he were only speaking to himself.

Ashton stopped but didn't acknowledge the statement, earning his sympathy would take more than a sob story.

"When Alphonse first appeared and swallowed a dozen cities, we believed Seibel and Smyrna would truly be at war to unite the continent. When Alphonse only took back their own cities and then threatened the complete annihilation of the Western barbarian tribes with a single spell... His majesty changed. I won't pretend you'll be free if he gets all his answers but... it's not his intention to bring you harm." Leonard informed looking toward the north.

"Alphonse died a dog's death, disappointed in everyone around him, and with no expectations. His greatest wish would be to never see anyone from his past and liv away from anyone who would disappoint him." Ashton finally said dispassionately looking to the south.

Leonard jolted and looked at Ashton, he wasn't sure how to take such information. He waited since Ashton looked like he still had something to say.

"If Lucian wanted resolutions, he's 12 years too late. Alphonse is dead and even if he wasn't," Ashton finally turned to Leonard, "Alphonse would want nothing to do with such a cowardly bully." He then politely bowed then returned to the manor without looking back.

When Leonard returned he went to find Lucian who was with Bert and Patrick, both kneeling. "We need to speak your majesty," he blurted ignoring the two men.

Lucian raised an eyebrow then waved so the rest of the servants left, but he didn't dismiss Patrick or Bert. He was still interrogating anything else they had said to Ashton. "What happened now?" He asked with a sigh.

Leonard knelt on one knee, "Please forgive my disrespect, but did you do anything cowardly in relation to Alphonse?" He asked then reported everything Ashton had said regarding Alphonse.

Lucian thought about back to himself of twelve years ago. He'd taken roughly five cities but because he was mostly mundane, he could only use first tier spells. He was sensitive to magic but that was it. "Nothing comes to mind, maybe a misunderstanding?" He probed, Ashton's comment was direct but also vague.

Leonard hesitated, then took a deep breath, "Is it possible someone of Smyrna assisted in his death without your permission?" He asked, while the delegation had only had half a dozen members accompanied his majesty, and all were still trusted advisors.

Lucian paled at the thought... he'd always wondered who had been able to get close enough to stab Ashton. To get past all his magical protections, and while not a sword master Alphonse had been on par with Smyrnaean elite guards. That's why so many believed him behind Alphonse's death... he trusted everyone when they swore they had nothing to do with the death... but Duke Jaxon Darnings was only two years older than his majesty and had helped him rise to power. Jaxon also had a habit of acting in Lucian's best interest even if Lucian didn't agree. Their similar age and appearance proved their close blood relations, black hair and eyes, sharp fierce features. They could easily pass as brothers instead of cousins.

Leonard and Jaxon had the relationship of a fox and a panther, most of the time they worked together but Leonard knew Jaxon would strike him down if it would benefit him. "Let's not jump to conclusions, but we should analyze the facts again. We should also send word to Duke Darning's in case this is a plot to drive a wedge between your majesty and his greatest supporter in court."

Lucian relaxed, "Send word immediately for him to expect us when we return." He couldn't be led around the nose by Ashton, not until they had undeniable proof.