Rumors

Lucian, Jaxon, Leonard, Randal, and Devlin were all in a meeting going over testimonies to find discrepancies and similarities so they could focus on finding patterns. With patterns they could start looking for any other hidden rebels.

Leonard looked up from the reports, "I'm surprised Lord Carlos is not here, as well as how... simple Lord Reece's testimony is."

Lucian looked up from the piles, "We will question him when he returns," Lucian was sighing as the couriers continued to bring more reports.

Jaxon glanced up, "I wonder if Lord Carlos will be asking his question about the rebel coordinator here in the palace, or at his villa?" Everyone tensed, though surely they had all been wondering the same. As much as Jaxon wished he could order Sebastian to return... they were of equal rank. Only Lucian could order the duke's return, though he should not do so lightly.

Lucian finally put the papers he was reading down, while he wanted to be present for such questions, Sebastian had made his displeasure fairly obvious yesterday.

"Lord Carlos has always been rather rigid in the strangest ways, but his loyalty has never been in question. His displeasure was from our clear double standards regarding asking Lord Reece for information yet doubting everything he said. We need to make sure we treat Lord Reece with the respect he is long overdue." Leonard analyzed once again reading over the single page report from Ashton's questioning.

"Or he's buttering the boy up," Randal commented under his breath. Randal did not believe for one moment a duke would be so flippant with their questioning without reason. Randal was also hesitant to barter with so much unknown about the boy... better caution than haste when entering a contact.

Devlin made a showing of looking Randal up and down, "Your Grace, it may be my humble mistake... but I'm starting to wonder if the grapes are sour... or you need to cast doubt on Lord Reece for... more personal reasons." Devlin was getting tired of all of Randal's snide comments casting doubt on Ashton, but more importantly Jaxon.

Randal glared at Devlin, "I think if anyone would be under suspicion, how close Carlos and Ashton have gotten would be raising the alarm after Carlos's nephew practically gave the wards away to rebels. Or that Jaxon's uncle, who was publicly beheaded over two years ago was very much alive until yesterday. Yet both are now championing this upstart. I'm starting to believe whoever invited Lord Reece might actually be the one in league with the rebels." Randal sneered glancing at Leonard. Randal was really starting to think that boy was bewitching everyone he encountered. The longer one spent in the boy's company, the more they blindly defended him... he should ask his wife for a ward against such enchantments and charms.

Lucian banged his fist on the table, "We very much doubt We would make such elaborate schemes to kill Our own heir." Lucian growled; the constant criticisms were getting on his nerves. If the duke could not contribute something helpful, best he cower in the corner like usual.

Randal was immediately silent, while he didn't show it, his anger almost had him lashing out at the emperor. What they should do is imprison the boy in dragon dungeon, that would keep him from wielding magic. Then, they should demand answers, but of course the emperor and his cronies weren't willing to make the tough choices when needed. No, Lucian would only bully the weak or overwhelm his enemies with numbers.

"Your Grace, please don't crumble the reports," Leonard reminded helpfully, Randal glared at him again. Leonard kept the smile, but let his eyes show his displeasure. Randal was snapping at everyone like a mad dog, maybe that was reason enough to investigate.

Randal dropped the papers and had to forcibly calm himself, "Perhaps I need a moment to compose myself, clearly, I am more distraught over yesterday's incident than I believed. Please excuse me," Randal said forcing his voice to remain even. Lucian waved him away so he left the room to take a calming walk.