The first step

Ashton deliberately ignored how tense the guards were in the afternoon and didn't use them for anything. For any errands he sent the attendants gifted by the empress as he prepared, though he did notice more than half of the guards had been replaced. When half a dozen guards arrived with plates of food Ashton simply glanced the guards up and down through the mask, "I don't dare accept such graciousness without proving my worth." Ashton informed then closed his door again.

Ashton spent the morning carving the inside of the mask with an enchantment to reduce his vision of the damned souls. Unfortunately, even as Alphonse he'd never needed such an enchantment so it was far from perfect. At least now he would only see the concentrated masses, while the rest of the world would have a slight tinge of darkness. Ashton took the mask off and glanced out the window of his room, dark smoky figures wandering around weeping.

With the mask on, it was there was shade on a sunny day, so a significant improvement. Now, to work on the sound isolation. Ashton still needed to hear the people around him, and occasionally the damned souls screaming, especially if they were targeting specific people.

That afternoon Ashton toured the banquet hall with the empress's attendant, it was large enough for over 1,000 people inside the main hall, three balcony floors with smaller rooms to look down, a private seating area for the imperial family. Ashton also confirmed the balcony for the priests was left mostly neglected.

Ashton decided to spend the next few days simply preparing for his debut into society.

Leonard and Jaxon had been tag teaming Lucian to keep him calm with Ashton's absence the last two days, and now the banquet was starting and Ashton was still nowhere to be seen. Charmaine was also watching Lucian with narrowed eyes, her father had informed her of what had happened but... she was starting to suspect Lucian's intentions. If helping Ashton would put her in direct opposition to her emperor and husband... she may have to rethink her stance.

"Your majesty, Ashton will show up, he made ample preparations. Please let us move forward with the ball." Charmaine finally stated after Leonard once again sent two more guards to see if Ashton was arriving. While there was food along the far wall the actual banquet would not start until much later. For now the nobles mingled while higher nobility's entrances were formally announced. Charmaine was tempted to order the first dance despite Lucian's foul mood.

Lucian glared, but finally nodded. As they were announced Lucian held Charmaine's hand as they entered, Natasha escorted by Serafin after them. Lucian waved for everyone to stand as they sat down, the dukes and Marquises all came to formally pay respects before entering the crowd to mingle. He continued to scan the crowd as the guards signaled they had not yet found Ashton.

"Your Majesty, please relax. You look as if you plan to start a war in the hall." Charmaine whispered behind her fan, both Serafin and Natasha had picked up on his stress. Before Lucian could respond all the light vanished from the room, Charmaine wanted to shout for guards before a calming ripple washed over the room.

Even though no one could see, everyone looked to the center of the room following the soft, ethereal voice.

Hello darkness, my old friend

I've come to talk with you again

Because a vision softly creeping

Left its seeds while I was sleeping

And the vision that was planted in my brain

Still remains

Within the sound of silence

Suddenly there was light shining as a masked figure slowly descended as if he were walking down invisible steps. His voice took on a more worldly tone but was nonetheless captivating.