If only

Jaxon was dragging in deep breaths of the much cooler air. It had felt like he'd been breathing in air from right over a fire. Promise had been ordered to heal their slightly singed throats from breathing but he declined and waited for a mage. Priest healing was unpleasant at best, and while the light burns were uncomfortable it was far from the worst he'd ever suffered.

Sebastian was the best off with his dragon jeweled cane that had kept him safe from the burns, but he was sweating. He glared at the priests and drew himself to his full height towering over the children. "Perhaps he should have just blinded the lot of you," Sebastian sneered then left.

Bodin was slowly regaining his wits as he thought about the interaction, whatever had set Lord Reece off could not have been some trivial matter. He was also healing the nobles after his own throat and knees had been healed.

After Devlin caught his breath he glanced around, "That wasn't fire from using mana..." He stated with a hint of trepidation, even as the floor was melting, not one sliver of mana had been detected.

Lucian jolted as he met Devlin's serious gaze, "Then what was it?"

Devlin glanced at the Pope and remaining Cardinal, "It almost... felt like a blessing? But it was still different. I, don't think Ashton is human." He finally admitted as the rest of them tensed.

Jaxon shuddered then glared at the pope, "You thought he was a dragon, and you still provoked him?" He rasped out almost in disbelief. It would make a lot of sense if Ashton was a dragon, his control of fire that could kill a land dragon. Those... guardians, his territorial boundaries. The need to barter, the gems he always had.

Bodin composed himself and stood straight, "I do believe he is a dragon. The dragon heart, which had been all but drained is slowly revitalizing. I also learned the day Lord Reece entered the capital is the day the heart gave the first beat in almost a decade."

Everyone shared glances of awe and horror, "He said he wasn't a dragon." Leonard reminded as Promise finished healing his throat. A mage had arrived and was quickly healing Lucian who had also refused to be healed by the priests.

Bodin hesitated, "Many breeds of dragons have specific names, calling him dragon in common could also be interpreted as uncommon lizard." He then turned his unhappy gaze to Promise who bowed.

"I was negligent, clearly the ascending process is particularly hard on the young one." Promise apologized. It was her negligence that had enraged the young one. His control was impressive though, there was a reason ascending dragons were held in the church. They could kill thousands in a moment of rage from something as simple as someone speaking in an annoying voice.

Jaxon stared in disbelief, "We could have died, died. You're saying he's not even a full dragon yet?" The mage had finished with Lucian and was now working on his own throat.

Randal had also paled considerably; he'd been challenging a dragon? It was a wonder the capital was still standing. Or that only three were dead in the months Ashton had arrived.

"What do you mean ascending, he's not acting anything like the legends say about the ascending?" Leonard asked looking at both priests, he wasn't particularly fond of the church after learning what Lucian and Jaxon had endured... but that didn't mean he would turn down more effective healing or information.

Bodin sighed, clearly Promise was hoping to get their cooperation in getting Lord Reece to settle in the Empire, allies were appreciated... if they weren't incompetent. "We all know the first Emperor of Smyrna was a trueborn dragon who transformed into a human and mated with holy priestess who became first empress, thus founding the Empire."