You and I

New York, New York
April 17th

Kasey L.

"You know white people could get away with being racist with this kind of thing."

I held my head up with my hand as I stared at Xena. We were currently at Mr. Webb all white party. It ended up getting pushed back due to some planning issues but we were here. I didn't see Pearl or Calvin anywhere or anyone else that I knew. I assumed they haven't arrived and that was a bummer. I was here only because it was a tradition for the my family to show up for Mr. Webb parties. He was Emily's father. A realtor that mainly sold to the rich folks. Nearly all the mansions out here in New York were sold under his name.

It was impressive, certainly. His home was beautiful too. There were hundreds of people, that I didn't know, hanging around the fountain and the garden. I thought Xena would prefer to be next to the garden but she told me those were fake flowers. I didn't know the difference so I didn't speak on it. Her attention was on something else anyway.

"What do you mean?" I entertained her nonsense.

I found doing that to be intriguing. The way Xena thought was interesting. There was nothing normal about the way she thought, in my opinion. She thought outside the box, actually she went beyond normal Earth borders and into the galaxy with her thoughts. She also spoke her mind and said whatever without thinking first. So far, it hasn't been outrageous to me. It's been extremely weird though.

"Think about it." She turned to me, an entranced expression on her face. She always seemed elated whenever she was able to express her weirdness.

"It's an all white party, so it can mean two things. Either wear all white or only white people allowed to come. But people don't look at in a racist way, so they go with the clothes option because that's what their mind is telling them. Like yeah, it's an all white party so I need to dress in all white but what if they want only white people dressed in white? See? I gotchu thinking." She said while pointing at me.

I started laughing, shaking my head. "That's an interesting way to put it honestly."

She leaned more on the table, grinning hard at me. "It is, however, it's the truth. You'd never know whether it was a racist intent or not because they're not going to say anything. You just have to scope the scenery out. Take notes. Observe." She quickly said. Her eyes squinted as she scanned the area. That explained why she didn't want to be around the fake garden, her words not mine.

"How long have you've-"

"Since you told me that we were coming to this party." She answered before I finished my question.

"So, this been on your mind for days, huh?"

She laughed. "Absolutely."

"Makes sense. Are you hungry baby? You haven't eaten since we got here and they're serving-" I paused, looking around to see any of the servers. "I actually don't know what they're serving. Are you hungry though?" I asked again. I signaled to one of the servers to come over.

"I hope they're not serving those weird fancy foods. I don't have time to chow down on small portions of food. I'm a big girlie and need to eat my behind off."

"You're not big." I quickly said before the server came over.

"Hello Mr. and Mrs. Langston. I have fig flatbread. Would you like one?" He asked, holding out the pan between the two of us.