42

maddie

My alarm went off and i started to get out of bed. today was the day i was going back to school. i had been excited, i wanted to get back into a sense of normalcy, but nerves were starting to creep in.

my bruises had all but fully faded, the cut on my forehead had been expertly stitched by the head of plastic surgery, and was barely noticeable. the problem was my hair.

the shaved patch was slowly growing back, but you could still see my scalp and the nasty gash left from when i hit the corner of the coffee table. what the hell was i gonna do.

i had been standing in front of the bathroom mirror for nearly an hour trying to find a style that hid the bald patch. hats and hoods wouldn't be allowed at school.

"ughhhh" i groaned dropping my hair brush.

"cuore mio? is everything okay in there" carina asked

"uhh yeah can you come in?" i asked.

"what's the matter maddie?" she asked softly. gently tipping my chin up so i looked at her. i may have a few inches on maya, but carina was about as tall as i was, if not taller and the italian was always wearing at least 2-3" heels.

i met her eyes, mine brimming with tears.

"maddie, you need to talk to me cuore mio." she said gently wiping a tear that had escaped. I honestly couldnt believe how much my sister's fiance cared about me.

"it's so stupid..."

"if it's bothering you it's not stupid cuore mio."

"it's my hair... i don't know what to do with it." i said as the tears started to fall.

"can i try ti help you bella?" carina asked, holding me to comfort me. i nodded

she grabbed my hair brush and lead me out to the kitchen table and motioned for me to take a seat.
she kissed me gently on the top of my head before softly brushing my hair.

i didn't know what she was doing, but it felt nice as she gently weaved her hands through my hair.

"all done cuore mio" she said, sneaking another kiss on my head. "want to go see?"

i nodded and we went back into my bathroom where carina held up a mirror and helped to show me my hair. she had done a couple of dutch braids leading into a ponytail. i don't know how she did it, but the braids covered the bald spots really well. if i didn't know it was there i don't think i would have noticed.

i turned and hugged her "thank you so much carina" i said burying my head in her chest

"of course maddie, you are strong and beautiful and it is important you remember that cuore mio." she said, holding me close

"hey! where are my girls!!" maya called as she came back into the apartment after a run

"in maddie's room" carina called back. i liked the sound of that. my room.

"almost ready for school little love? i figured i could drive you in today" my sister asked

"yeah that'd be great, thanks maya" i smiled at my sister i just needed to get dressed.

——

"have a great day mads, call me if you need anything at all okay?" maya said as we pulled up to the school