One | Five Months Prior

ONE
_______

Five Months Earlier

Noelle

"I got this. New year, new beginning." I whispered to myself.

Taking a small breath, my right hand came forward to come in contact with the white door I've been avoiding to touch the last four minutes. Keeping my eyes low, my body made a slight jump when the door swung open and a familiar face appeared at my sight.

I felt uncomfortable at the moment when I felt stared at for a while. Eyes just looked down at me from up and down, trying to read my features and expressions before giving off a sigh.

"Oh, come on! Smile, Elle!" Jacky groaned. "If you don't smile, we will do this, again." She warned.

Yes, again. My best friends had been waiting for my arrival, but had encouraged me to face her with a positive greeting to signal a new beginning. Obviously, due to a traumatic event, a smile was hard to form, so I was forced to knock on that door four times until I got it right.

I closed my eyes, "I can't do this for the fifth time again, Jacky. Please, just understand that I don't have the energy for this."

"No." Jacky disagreed. "You were set to restart back home with positive energy. If you are becoming our roomie, you will have to obey the laws which means, be happy. Sad leads to others sad, and others sad means household sad. We don't want that." She frowned.

Roomie. Yes, you heard Jacky right. I was the new roommate.

After the painful departure I had with Niall Horan, the new year came by giving me an excuse to persuade the life I actually did want before Ireland. It was in my head for a while about continuing my education in Chicago, aiming towards UIC like I always wanted, so after a few hard talks with my mother and father, they both did come to an agreement for a move.

No, sadly, I wasn't admitted into UIC as expected. I had to take two years in community college before transferring, but luckily, my college was in the city, in-which my best friends lived. So, no, I didn't really come back to live with my father since it's quite far from the city, but I do go visit single every weekend.

"That's a really hard law to follow right now, Jacky." I mumbled out.

It isn't an easy start either. Like previously said, it's only been a month. Yeah, I'm still hurt. Yeah, I'm still stuck on Niall Horan. Yes, I do become sensitive with the topic now, so I knew it was going to take time. I was aiming to distract myself with education, family, friends and getting a job to pay rent. And don't worry, Ana was very understanding about my babysitting exit after one family.