Eight | Scavenger

EIGHT
________

Niall

5:23 PM

"You better be here, Elle," I whispered to myself, breathlessly.

I've been out of breath going up the stairs of the building complex. The elevator had seemed to be out of order and from what I was told, the place was near the top floor.

Time was ticking badly for me. I've been lucky to know that her place had been located really close to the arena, giving me an excuse to have one last attempt to complete this entire, stressful mission.

I adjusted my cap when I came across the hallway, a few young adults and teenagers walking pass me with different college merchandise, giving me a sign that this had been full of college kids.

Without hesitation, I wasted no time when I reached the familiar door number and knocked softly on it.

iMessage
John Bird, 🦅
Where the fuck ya at, mate??? It's not a band without the singer

I sighed, closing my eyes knowing that I was probably committing a big mistake now, but I was already here.

My heart wasn't even skipping correctly when I waited for the door to open. I've gotten so use to having false hope at confronting Elle now, that I wasn't even developing emotions anymore. I was tired.

"It's probably DoorDash, I fucking told the guy to leave it at the door. Gosh, do they not read the special instructions?" A high-pitched voice echoed from afar.

It definitely wasn't Elle, I can tell you that.

I was aware that she lived with friends and yeah, I also knew the outcomes of showing up unwanted and seeing them too, but I just did not care anymore. What was there to hide at this point?

The door unlocked, not giving me a chance to even adjust my hat again and when I looked up, I was confronted by a tall brunette, almost as tall as me, leaning against the door frame in confusion.

"Oh, I thought you were DoorDash..." She said embarrassingly. "..uh...can I help you?"

I cleared my throat, a bit intimidated by the brunette's tone of voice.

"Erm, m'sorry, I'll just get straight the point, is Elle here by any chance? Noelle, Noe, Elle, sorry she has so many names now." I said desperately.

"Are you flirting with the DoorDash guy, Jacky?" Another voice echoed from afar.

Again, it wasn't Elle. I knew Elle pretty well now and I would've known if she was actually here by now due to all the commotion that was happening.