Six | And A Half

SIX and a half
________

Present Day

Noelle

"I am handing you the schedules for this week's upcoming events." Josh, my boss spoke through the meeting room. "Friday is going to be a busy night, so I am expecting everyone to be at their best."

I yawned, forcing every inch of my body to maintain a movement from the previous night as I eyed the papers being handed.

You know, I wasn't going to sit here and say that my life was doing really well, because, realistically, it was. Like I left off, I was still going to school, working and forcing myself to be happy with my best friends, but those college parties were really humbling me.

It seemed like my drinking tolerance and relationship with alcohol began taking a toll on my body. I've adjusted so much to the burning and sour sensation, I began to enjoy it. It was fun, but the post-hangovers never got any better. I was someone I never pictured myself to be.

"Oh, it's the Spring Fest!" Jennifer said beside me, "Zedd, Camila Cabello, and oh my god, Shawn Mendes, you know what that means—oh, shit."

My eyes finally adjusted to a clear view, bringing them off the blank white wall and turning over to Jennifer on my side, who had been off guard.

"What? You forgetting Shawn is dating Camila or," I teased.

Jennifer's hazel eyes flickered at me and wiggled her paper before snatching mine from my lap.

"Look at the sixth line on the list."

I rolled my eyes, snatching the paper off her and scanned through the line-up for Friday.

"I already knew the line-up, I saw it on Twitter from Atlanta's—"

My own voice cut off at the new added name listed on the sixth line for Chicago's Spring Fest this year.

It felt like my entire stomach took a turn and I had to swallow my saliva twice just to avoid the nausea the unexpected news had given me. All the alcohol from the previous night tingling in my throat as I read the line to myself.

"You look like you're about to pass out," Jennifer whispered at me.

I was about to pass out. I did my best to avoid a situation like this and although I always joked about running into him at this job, the possibilities increase tremendously.

My first reaction was to slam the paper against the wooden long table and take a deep breath, embarrassingly interrupting my boss from speaking.

"Is there a problem, Miss Ellis?" My boss rose a brow.

I breathed heavily at the question and I can feel Jennifer trying to cover up.

"Yeah, she just had a rough night and—"

"I can't work that day, Josh. I-I forgot it's uh...finals and," I closed my eyes, trying to make an excuse in my head.

"We went over this, Ellis. You've called off the last three Friday's and due to the amount of traffic this weekend will do to the concert, I cannot excuse you anymore." Josh frowned.

"No, I'm being for real. I cannot work this concert. I'll work all week next week, but I cannot—"

"Will you excuse us, boss?" Jennifer's hand cupped my shoulder before dragging me off the room.