CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: THE NORTHERN WATER TRIBE

THEY HAD BEEN FLYING FOR DAYS. The group was hungry, annoyed, and exhausted from over the water with no breaks. Sokka had been at his usual complaining, Arin sitting tight as she laid down quietly, Aang guiding Appa and Katara watching the blue ocean pass by.

Sokka had asked if Appa could fly any higher and Aang snapped back at him angrily.

"I have an idea. Why don't we all get on your back, and you can fly us to the North Pole."

"I'd love to. Climb on, everyone. Sokka is ready for take off." Sokka shimmied himself and Momo leaped onto his back.

"I get we're all cranky and tired but can't we all just leave each other alone?" Arin sat up as she grumbled.

"Yeah, we've been flying for two days straight." Katara glanced at her.

"And for what? We can't even find the Northern Water Tribe. There's nothing up here." Sokka complained and they all sunk further into their spots until they heard a splash. Arin shot to attention and stood up, looking around for the sound. A giant spike of ice rose from the ground and Aang yelped as he swerved out the way.

The siblings yelled at the quick turn and Arin held them close so they didn't fall into the ocean. They continued to dodge more and more ice attacks until one caused Appa to go twirling into the water.

Water froze around Appa who was half underwater as canoes with a number of people on them neared the kids.

"They're water benders. We found the water tribe." The tribe members closed in on the kids.

"Wasn't the warmest of welcomes," Arin said under her breath as she stood firmly on the saddle, looking around at the water benders.

They had explained that they were traveling with the Avatar and needed to get to the Northern Tribe and the water benders led them to the empire of snow and water.

It was beautiful on the inside of the large icy gate. Buildings and bridges of snow. There would be no problem finding a master for Aang since the tribe was stocked full of water benders. People watched them row through the water paths through the city, curiosity overcoming them.

"This place is beautiful," Katara said in awe.

"Yeah. She is." Sokka said and Arin glanced at him to see him staring at a girl on a small canoe with white hair. She smiled at him and his ditzy expression before tugging him back on the saddle.

The group had been invited by the chief of the Northern Water Tribe to a ceremonial feast. The chief was in the middle as Aang sat next to him, Katara next to him, the Arin, and lastly Sokka in the end.

"Tonight, we celebrate the arrival of our brother and sister from the Southern Tribe. And they have brought with them two very special people, one who many of us believed disappeared from the world until now... The Avatar." The tribe clapped as Aang waved bashfully. "We also celebrate my daughter's 16th birthday." The girl from before, with white hair dressed in royal robes, made her way behind her father. "Princess Yue is now of marrying age."

"Thank you, Father." Yue glanced from her father to the tribe members. "May the great ocean and moon spirits watch over us during these troubled times."

"Now, Master Pakku and his students will perform!" The Chief announced before Master Pakku, on the other end of the room, struck into dance with his students. Water sloshed around them as they bent the element. Arin clapped joyfully and amused. This tribe was incredibly impressive.

She heard Sokka speaking to Yue who had made her way to his side and sat down. Sokka paused stuffing his mouth to introduce himself.

"Hey, there. Sokka, Southern Water Tribe."