CHAPTER THIRTY FIVE: SELF EXPRESSION

THEY HAD FOUND AANG on the Crescent Island where Roku's temple used to be before it was... destroyed. Aang had received quite the stern talking to from his sister when he came to.

"I have so much to do," Aang said as he emerged from the warm group hug.

"We get that, but we're here to help you," Arin said softly before her brows furrowed, tugging on his ear. "And if you ever run away again I will find you and drag you by the ear back. Do you know how worried you had Katara? Do you know how worried I was?! You restless little airbender! You need to think before you do things like this!" She scolded and the entire Gang watched as Aang shrunk from her shouting until she stood to her full height. "But I'm very glad you're okay." She smiled and Aang gave a nervous side grin, receiving another hug from his sister.

Sokka and Arin came to the agreement that it was best that they joined back with Hakoda and the rest of the water tribe men, including Pipsqueak and the Duke, on the day of the invasion while they laid low with Aang and the rest of the gang.

Aang had finally come to terms with the fact he had to keep his living a secret. Once they left the crescent island, they were hiding in a cloud that Arin had conjured using her air bending, floating to a random island.

"I think I see a cave below," Aang said.

"Shh!" Sokka shushed him. "Keep quiet." Arin dissipated the cloud, accidentally making a few birds squawk. Sokka jumped off Appa, hiding behind a rock. "Great job with the cloud camouflage, but next time, Aang... let's disguise ourselves as the kind of cloud who knows how to keep its mouth shut." He deadpanned.

"Yeah, we wouldn't want a bird to hear us chatting up there and turn us in," Toph said sarcastically as Sokka peeked over the rock he was behind.

"Hey, we're in enemy territory. Those are enemy birds." He pointed to the pelicans above him, one jumping on his head. The group laughed and Arin moved over, picking up the pelican carefully as she placed it back down.

They began walking, entering the cave in front of them before Sokka jumped in front of them, crashing into the ground. Nobody was surprised by his behavior, they watched him fall. He rose and eyed the scenery carefully checking the cave.

"Well, this is it. This is how we'll be living until the invasion begins. Hiding in cave after cave... after cave... after cave." He said, progressively getting more dejected.

"Sokka, we don't need to become cave people. What we need is some new clothes." Katara told him.

"Yeah, blending in is better than hiding out. If we get Fire Nation disguises we'll be just as safe as we would be hiding in a cave." Aang added.

"Plus, they have real food out there. Does anyone wanna sit in the dirt and eat cave-hoppers?" Toph hit the wall behind her, multiple cave-hoppers coming from holes. Momo caught one and began to munch on it, Arin cringing back in disgust.

"Looks like we got outvoted, sport. Let's get some new clothes." Sokka grinned and Arin sighed in relief. Her clothes weren't tattered like the rest of the groups, but her airbender clothes weren't exactly subtle.

They eventually found a group of houses near a waterfall, multiple selections of clothes hanging on lines as they dried. They peeked over the rocks as they watched for any movement.

"I don't know about this. These clothes belong to somebody." Aang said guiltily.

"I call the silk robe," Katara said excitedly, jumping from her spot.

"I call the halter dress!" Arin raced behind Katara as she saw the dress. Katara and Arin grabbed their clothes.

"But... if it's essential to our survival then I call the suit." Aang then jumped up. After him, Toph and Sokka chose their pieces of clothing too, Toph just picking up a random piece.