CHAPTER FORTY: FULL MOON NIGHTS

THE GROUP HAD BEEN telling scary stories in the middle of the forest surrounded by a fire hallway into the night. It was expected for Aang, maybe even Toph to curl into Arin, holding on to her for security since they were the youngest, but for Sokka to practically be hunched over the seventeen-year-old girl in fear was annoying, to say the least.

Katara was telling a story that happened to her and Sokka's mother. It was about a girl the mother knew as a child disappearing during a snowstorm. The girl's family had vanished as well, the town checking on them and looking for them, when the mother was alone, she saw and heard the voice of the girl, Nini. When she went to get help, they all came back and Nini was gone.

Arin, less susceptible to scary stories was slightly shaken, but not comparable to Sokka who had hugged her for comfort.

"Where'd she go?" Sokka mumbled.

"No one knows. Nini's house stands empty to this day. But sometimes, people see smoke coming up from the chimney like little Nini is still trying to get warm." As Katara finished her story, the group went silent until Toph asked if they could hear people screaming.

At this, Aang and Katara both scurry to cuddle next to Arin, the girl being slightly suffocated.

"Pft, nice try," Sokka scoffed, not believing her.

"No, I'm serious, I hear something." Toph tried to convince them.

"You're probably just jumpy from the ghost stories." Katara waved it off.

"It just stopped." Toph trailed.

"All right, now I'm getting scared," Aang admitted and Arin put a warm hand on his upper back to comfort him.

"Hello, children." A voice let out behind them, all the kids screaming in fright. They each moved towards Toph who was the farthest from the voice. Arin looked at the owner of the voice, an older woman, with suspicion. "Sorry for frighten you, my name is Hama. You children shouldn't be out in the forest by yourselves at night. I have an inn nearby, why don't you come back there for some spiced tea and warm beds?" Sokka spoke for everyone, kindly accepting.

They all followed Hama to her inn, the woman pouring them some hot tea to combat the slightly chilly night.

"Thanks for letting us stay here tonight. You have a lovely inn." Katara smiled.

"Aren't you sweet? You know, you should be careful. People have been disappearing in those woods you were camping in." Hama told them.

"What do you mean by disappearing?" Arin questioned from between Toph and Sokka.

"When the moon turns full, people walk in and they don't come out." She informed eerily. "Who wants more tea?" She rose with a smile, leaving the group thoroughly freaked out. "Don't worry, you'll all be completely safe here. Why don't I show you to your rooms, and you can get a good night's rest?" She then showed everyone to their separate rooms, it didn't do much good though.

Sokka and Katara had stayed in their rooms, but while Arin was peacefully sleeping, Aang had snuck in and hugged his sister closely, terrified from the stories he had heard less than three hours prior. Toph had snuck in as well some time during the night, not cuddling Arin but relaxing in her presence.

They were awakened the next morning by Hama, saying that they were all gonna go shopping together.

It was obvious Katara and Hama had bonded over spirits know what, but the rest of the group had lagged behind them all day. Katara and Hama in front of them conversing away.

While slacking behind the two girls, Aang, Toph, Sokka, and Arin had heard about the rest of the town's wariness about being out on a full moon, just like Hama said.