CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN: MASTER SWORDSMAN

THEY WERE PEACEFULLY watching a bunch of stars shoot across the sky. It was beautiful, really. Toph was extremely bored, given the fact she couldn't see anything, but the others were in awe. It was quite enjoyable until they saw a giant blue comet rocket toward the ground, across their vision fields. It crashed loudly someplace behind them and caused a large explosion.

"The fire is going to destroy that town!" Katara yelled as they neared the explosion on Appa.

"Not if we can stop it!" Aang said back. Appa groaned as they neared the fire, loads of smoke emitting from it. They landed and everyone but Katara jumped off Appa.

"There's a creek over here. I'll bend the water onto the fire." Katara and Appa rose again, leaving for the creek.

"Toph, let's make a trench to keep the fire from coming any closer." Aang and Toph ran forward.

"I'll keep it contained, make sure it doesn't spread any further!" Arin shouted, beginning to bend a large air bubble around the fire to keep it from getting any more oxygen.

"What should I do?" Sokka yelled and everyone paused.

"Keep an eye on Momo," Aang said as the lemur squawked. 

"So what, I'm just a lemur-sitter?" Sokka groaned and Arin gave him an apologetic face.

"Sokka, your battle expertise can't really be used here. Sorry." She tried to make him feel better but he just groaned again, petting Momo who landed on his head.

Aang and Toph began to make the trench, dividing the ground and pushing the explosion away.

Arin expanded her air pocket, warping it around the fire before completely encasing it. Katara made her way over to Appa with a giant bubble of water. Arin opened the lid of her pocket, allowing Katara to spray over the fire and successfully put out some of it.

Toph crushed the fire with a rock slab, minimizing it. By the time it had shrunk, Aang told Sokka to stand clear of the water he was about to spray.

Aang had pushed the water to the fire with air bending, sending a wave of water onto the fire, exploding it in a giant bubble. It popped and made it snow in the area.

"Good work, everybody." Aang dusted off his hands and Arin held her hands out for the snow.

THE NEXT DAY, they stopped for a lunch break at the town they saved that night. Aang was sitting down at a table, joining an already seated Toph, Katara, and Arin.

"These people have no idea how close they were to getting toasted last night." He said.

"Yeah, the worst thing about being in disguise is we don't get the hero worship anymore," Toph complained as she chewed her bite of food. "I miss the love."

"Boo-hoo, poor heroes." They all turned to Sokka who was sitting alone on the edge of the balcony, his food getting cold.

"What's your problem?" Katara asked him. "You haven't even touched your smoked sea slug."

"It's just, all you guys can do this awesome bending stuff like putting out forest fires, and flying around, and making other stuff fly around." They all looked at one another as Sokka droned. "I can't fly around, ok? I can't do anything." He slumped and Arin pouted.

"That's not true at all."

"Yeah, no one can read a map like you." Katara tried to make him feel better.

"I can't read at all!" Toph quipped, adding on.

"Yeah, and who keeps us laughing with sarcastic comments all the time?" Aang questioned. "I mean, look at Katara's hair, right? What's up with that?" Aang played with a piece of Katara's hair and Arin scowled at him.