CHAPTER NINETEEN: ENEMIES OF THE NATION

BOOK TWO: EARTH

IT HAD BEEN A TOTAL of three weeks that Arin had been with Iroh and Zuko. Every day had been easier than the last, but being with Zuko was getting harder and harder. It seemed every day he drove her up the wall with his attitude and anger issues.

But today... today was different.

"Three years ago today, I was banished. I lost it all. I want it back. I want the Avatar. I want my honor, my throne. I want my father not to think I'm worthless."

"I'm sure he doesn't," Iroh said trying to stay optimistic. "Why would he banish you if he didn't care?" Zuko looked at him before standing up and walking away.

Zuko was on a straight path, away to clear his head when he bumped into another body.

"Uh, mind watching your step- Zuko?" Zuko looked down at Arin who was wearing a sleeveless tight-cropped shirt, a robe around the rest of her body. Her hair was soaking wet. In truth, Zuko had been more and more insufferable because he didn't want to stand being around her for so many hours of the day.

"Move aside." He said rudely and she scoffed.

"You move." She shoved him as she pushed his shoulder, continuing her path until Zuko grabbed her arm.

"Don't treat me like a peasant." He stared at her lowly and she pulled her hand back.

"Don't treat me like some low life. Don't think just because I owe you that I'll accept being treated like garbage. Now if you'll excuse me, Your Royal Highness, I have places to be other than here."  She turned away, leaving Zuko to himself as his lips pursed.

"LOOK AT THESE MAGNIFICENT SHELLS." Iroh splayed them on the table. "I'll enjoy these keepsakes for years to come."

"We don't need any more useless things. You forget we have to carry everything ourselves now." Zuko told Iroh before a female voice spoke.

"Hello, Brother, Uncle."

"What are you doing here?" Zuko glared at the girl.

"In my country, we exchange a pleasant hello before asking questions. Have you become uncivilized so soon, Zuzu?" The girl stalked towards the taller male and her Uncle.

"Don't call me that!" Zuko shouted.

"To what do we owe this honor?" Iroh asked the girl.

"Hmm, must be a family trait. Both of you are so quick to get to the point." The girl crushed a seashell in her hand and Iroh furrowed his gaze.
"I've come with a message from home. Father's changed his mind. Family is suddenly very important to him. He's heard rumors of plans to overthrow him- treacherous plots. Family are the only ones you can really trust. Father regrets your banishment. He wants you home." The girl looked at her silent Uncle and brother.

"Did you hear me? You should be happy, excited, grateful. I just gave you great news."

"I'm sure your brother simply needs a moment-" Iroh tried to explain to Zuko.

"Don't interrupt, Uncle!" The girl shouted. "I still haven't heard my thank you. I'm not a messenger. I didn't have to come all this way."

"Father regrets? He wants me back?" Zuko spoke to himself as if he couldn't believe it.

"I can see you need time to take this in. I'll come to call on you tomorrow. Good evening." The girl left the hut, leaving the two males to their own. After a moment of silence, Arin made her way inside.