(3). New Mission

Seven hours later.
Incheon, South Korea.

"Hwang Hyunjin. Twenty-eight. Officially, he’s the executive director of KeumOh Corporation. He’s only been active for 8 years, but he’s a demon that has managed to climb up to the top in one swoop."

The office was filled with the gray smoke of cigarettes. The furniture and everyone’s clothes were all different shades of black, white or gray. The windows were closed, making the room seem even more gloomy. The only pop of color was the bright red heels that were slightly shaking above the ground.

"And I’m sure KeumOh knows where YongSung is getting its money from…"

A man placed a photograph before the people in the room and continued to explain as he tapped his pen.

"And you know that these investment companies are merely fronts for money laundering, right?"

"So what are you trying to say?"

The woman in the red heels was Ryujin. She sucked a thin cigarette from between her fingers and breathed out a puff of smoke as she spoke. As she re-folded her legs, the man’s lewd eyes were drawn to the place between her thighs.

"Seriously… you fucking bitch, you’re too impatient."

Half of the man’s head was shaved. He swept his fingers through his remaining hair a couple times. Her lips were bright red like her heels. They opened as she slowly spoke in a soft but clear voice.

"You’re explaining something that even all the kids know these days. It’s so boring. You’re quite stupid, so I understand that you need people to explain everything to you from one to ten, but not me. Just tell me why you called me all the way over here in the middle of the night, you idiot."

"Why you fucking bitch…!"

The man’s face became red. He shot up from his seat and stretched out his hand to grab her hair, but Ryujin was one step ahead. She threw the crystal ashtray at his shaved head. The ashtray shattered.

"You crazy bitch!"

With blood flowing down his forehead, the man eyes fluttered as he lunged for her. Suddenly, the man quietly sitting in the back opened his mouth.

"Stop fooling around."

"…Sorry, Boss."

The man panted as he bowed his head. He was still glaring at Ryujin, his eyes full of rage. Ryujin tapped her cigarette, letting the ash fall on the ashtray shards scattered all over the floor. Then she slowly lowered her foot onto the floor and crushed the shards underneath her heels.

Crunch.

They heard the sound of a drawer opening. The man called ‘Boss’ began to slowly walk towards them. The clean, black leather shoes stopped in front of the red heels.

“Shin Ryujin.”

She could feel cold metal underneath her chin. The man lifted her face up with a sharp blade of a knife. His sunken eyes stared at her as he commanded her.

"Get up."

Ryujin looked up at him with her deer-like eyes. She slowly got up from her seat.

"Do you not want to work?"

The man’s thin voice sounded nasty. He had a scar right above one of his eyebrows that was obviously a cut from a knife. It seemed to warn everyone around him of his dangerous past. As she gazed at his scar, Ryujin parted her lips.

"When did I ever say that?"

The man smiled crookedly at her soft, clear voice.

"Your behavior is telling me that you don’t want to work. Stop acting out and just tell me if you don’t want to do it. Be honest with me. Here at Serim, there are always people I can send out instead of you. Alright?"