(33). Show her

Jackson Wang was a man who knew very well how much corruption Choi HyunSuk had taken part in all this time. Jackson Wang had made illegal donations to Choi HyunSuk in order to keep his self-interests intact. In other words, they shared a symbiotic relationship. However, if Choi HyunSuk planned to run for the presidency, his most dangerous liability was Jackson Wang.

Choi HyunSuk hadn’t been happy with YongSung’s most recent demands, but he complied because he was afraid their connection would be revealed to the public.

Up until now, Hyunjin had done his best to gather the evidence of Choi HyunSuk’s illegal activities and corruption, but Jackson Wang never showed the specifics of these activities to anyone.

"If Choi HyunSuk decides to take the bait, this might be our only chance to tie him to Jackson Wang and take them both down. Since Jackson Wang is currently bedridden and can’t leave his hospital bed, we need to find another way to prosecute him. If an irrefutable piece of evidence comes to light, even the prosecutors who are turning a blind eye to all this won’t be able to sit still."

Having Jackson Wang leave the country was a crucial step in this project, which they had been developing with the cooperation of the Chinese police. Before he became the leader of YongSung, Jackson Wang did time for 10 years for embezzlement and conspiracy to murder in his late twenties or early thirties. Nowadays, he was very reluctant to personally go out and do the dirty work.

After he was released from prison, he expanded his business to illegal stock manipulations and investments. However, only his subordinates were charged for petty offenses.

Because of this, for half a year, all the team members began to plan a massive bust of the illegal dealings of Philopon in the black market. They did all this to draw out the elusive leader of YongSung into a place where they could arrest him. Now that this was all water under the bridge, they needed to modify the plan. And it was up to Hyunjin to do this.

"Do you have a plan in mind?"

"Even if I don’t, I need to make one."

Hyunjin bit his cigarette as he murmured. Lieutenant Han and General Manager Choi gave each other a look. Their boss’s unwavering attitude in the midst of this crisis gave them a bit of comfort.

"Understood, sir."

"Then you may leave."

They were currently in the penthouse of the hotel owned by KeumOh. Hyunjin had been living here for a few years now. It was the safest place to be in order to avoid any suspicions, but they still needed to be careful because the whole building was crawling with YongSung’s gangsters.

After giving a short greeting, General Manager Choi left first. Dressed as a call girl, Lieutenant Han began to follow after him, but she stopped when she got to the door and turned around.

"Superintendent Hwang."

Smoke flowed out of the cigarette held between Hyunjin's long fingers. The man seemed to perfectly suit this dreary, colorless room. He opened his mouth and let out a short reply.

"What?"

"…About your decision to keep Shin Ryujin from returning to Serim… Is there another reason for that decision?"

Hyunjin tilted his head as he gazed at Lieutenant Han before answering indifferently.

"What do you mean?"

"I was just wondering if you had a personal reason for making that decision."

"What personal reason?"

When Lieutenant Han hesitated, Hyunjin answered for her.

"Are you talking about romantic feelings?"

"I didn’t mean to pry into your personal life, but…"