(42). Movies

"That’s seriously so crazy."

"What is?"

"His son might die any minute, but the police commissioner father is completely fine with that. I can’t understand it."

"Because a parent can’t live their children’s lives for them."

Hyunjin smiled faintly. Even since he was little, every member of his family did everything on their own. Their taciturn personalities and lack of emotion was probably genetic. His father didn’t concern himself with the lives of his three sons.

"My brothers knew what they wanted to do at a young age, but nothing seemed to interest me."

"Then did you choose to join the police force because of your father?"

"I guess you can say that. Even after graduating high school, there wasn’t anything I wanted to do. There wasn’t anything I wanted to study in college either, but… I thought that if I became a policeman like my father, it would give me more of a thrill. So, when I was in high school I decided to help police by joining Serum thinking it will help me become one of like them after college."

"…Thrill?"

Ryujin frowned.

"Yeah. I felt that my life was pretty boring when I was young. I guess another way of putting it is that I didn’t feel a sense of accomplishment. Even though there was no one there to praise me, when I did get any praise, it didn’t particularly like it or anything. Everything seemed useless… Now that I think about it, I might have been emotionally dense."

"Excuse me. Did… anyone ever say that you were cold as a child?"

"…From time to time."

"Or that you were full of yourself? Or rude little bastard?"

"……"

Judging from his blank expression and the fact that he wasn’t denying it, he had definitely heard it before. Of course. Ryujin scoffed as she continued speaking.

"I got goosebumps when you told me they called you a member of the elite, but I think this is a bit more believable."

"What is?"

"The rude, arrogant, eighteen-year-old Hwang Hyunjin. I imagine you were a lot worse when you were younger."

Hyunjin chuckled, but he didn’t say anything.

"Anyways, you ended up living a life full of thrill just like you wanted."

"You’re right. Seeing people die in front of my eyes and having my life constantly in danger, I don’t have time to be bored. I thought I was getting on a thrilling rollercoaster, but it turned out to be a train to hell instead. And I couldn’t get out."

She couldn’t tell what he was thinking about from his languid voice.

"I felt that there was no other choice but for me to survive, so I did my best. But sometimes I got confused on whether I was actually a thug or police."

Having lived undercover for so long, it was understandable that he experienced an identity crisis. His hand softly rubbed her shoulder. The temperature of the bath had gone down a bit, but her body was still warm. Ryujin stared at him as she opened her mouth.

"So did you make an effort to remind yourself that you were police every day?"

"…Is there something you want to say?"

Hyunjin's eyes narrowed. Ryujin grabbed his hand as he began to slide it into her cleavage.

"Your room doesn’t have any curtains. If someone told me it was a prison cell, I’d believe them. And yet you lived there without buying any furniture for many years. Was it because you were trying to remind yourself that you weren’t the director of KeumOh but a policeman of South Korea?"