(9). Choi HyunSuk

Friday night. It was well past midnight, and the taxis were busy in the heart of the city. The neon signs illuminated the roads in a different way than the sun did during the daytime. Ryujin watched the stumbling, drunk men with tired eyes. If she could have her own way, she would have lain down on the floor right this instant.

"Where is your home?"

Her boss, Hyunjin, had just returned from his meeting with the mayor of Seoul, Choi HyunSuk. As he got back into the car, he asked her the short question. Ryujin, who was sitting next to him, gave him her address.

After ordering the driver to turn the car around, Hyunjin kept his mouth shut. The secret meeting lasted for over two hours. Ryujin was trapped inside the car until the last appointment on his schedule was completed. However, she didn’t complain or express any discomfort.

"Thank you for taking me home." she said.

In no time, she saw the apartment building she was staying at. He observed the simple apartment buildings before speaking in a monotone voice.

"I’ll see you next week at the office."

"Yes, sir. Please take care."

"Good work today."

The moment Ryujin's hand touched the door handle, she heard him softly mutter those words. She curtly nodded before opening the door and exiting the car. As her high heels clacked on the pavement, her figure looked upright and tidy.

Hyunjin recalled how she had knocked on his office door that morning. After ordering Ryujin to secretly investigate Choi HyunSuk, Hyunjin ignored her for two days and treated her if she were invisible. After taking a good look at her face for the first time in two days, he noticed that she looked quite tired.

"What is this?" he asked her.

The first page of the report that Ryujin had turned in was related to Choi HyunSuk's youngest son who was diagnosed with epilepsy. Ryujin had also included a record of the travel logs of Choi HyunSuk's wife for the past 10 years. He didn’t know how she had managed to get her hands on this information. Hyunjin read through the report carefully, and his sharp eyes narrowed.

"…Mostly the Netherlands."

"Yes, sir. She left for the Netherlands multiple times with her son, but she’s also gone there alone. As you know, the Netherlands is a country where cannabidiol is legal." Ryujin told him.

[Cannabidiol (CBD). It was a hemp extract that was reported to be an effective treatment for symptoms of epilepsy or Alzheimer’s. The hemp oil was administered orally, and would decrease the epileptic seizures. However, in South Korea, it was considered a psychoactive drug and was therefore illegal to use.]

"You are also aware that an assemblyman affiliated with Choi HyunSuk recently proposed the legalization of hemp for medical purposes to the National Assembly, right?"

"This information isn’t enough to prove that Choi HyunSuk's wife has been using hemp to treat her son’s symptoms." Hyunjin said.

"But it still gives a strong sense of probability."

"Even if this was proven to be true, the fact that he was doing this for his sick son will probably gain him some sympathy points from the voters. People love emotional dramas." Hyunjin replied.

Since this was his first offense, his sentencing wouldn’t be harsh. Hyunjin looked at her as he shook his head. However, Ryujin merely shrugged.

"Well, you’re probably right about that. But, Director, there’s more on the back of the page."

He didn’t think there was more to the report. He blankly looked up at her before turning the page. His face suddenly hardened. It was a photograph taken in a suite room of an expensive hotel. In the picture, many people dressed in fancy clothing were sprawled out all over the place.