(44). Chatting

"If I ask you a question, can you give me an answer?"

"I’ll do what I can."

"How much longer will I be trapped in here?"

"I don’t think I can give you a definite answer. That’s something for Superintendent Hwang to decide."

Ryujin nodded at the obvious answer before asking another question.

"According to him, he told me he’d let me go once everything was over. Do you know when it’ll be over? Don’t you know what he’s thinking since you’re both in the same team?"

"If everything was going according to plan, the d-day would have been in half a month."

Even though she had said this calmly and politely, her words were laced with thorns. Ryujin blinked at her. Lieutenant Han then continued speaking with a blank expression.

"If the leaders of YongSung and Serim had gathered at Shenzhen, we would have been able to arrest everyone."

Ryujin counted the days in her head. She then realized that Hyunjin's planned business trip to China was coming closer. Even though she had been locked up, the days seemed to pass by surprisingly faster than she thought.

"That is… if Shin Ryujin-ssi didn’t shoot Jackson Wang at the founding party."

Ryujin looked into the sharp eyes behind the glasses and changed her mind about trying to gain Lieutenant Han's sympathy. This woman showed no crack in her armor, which seemed to be a characteristic of anyone who worked with Hyunjin. Ryujin decided it would be better to try and break her facade instead.

"I didn’t say this to blame you, Shin Ryujin-ssi. I just answered the question you asked me. I apologize if I hurt your feelings."

Lieutenant Han took Ryujin's silence as a sign of disappointment. Ryujin quickly shook her head.

"No, you didn’t hurt my feelings."

"I’m glad."

"You’re right. I was the one who acted unpredictably and ruined your plan. I apologize for making your situation more difficult. You all probably prepared for this for a long time."

There was no criticism or condescension in Ryujin's voice. Lieutenant Han's voice became a bit softer.

"I'm glad you understand."

"There’s one other thing."

"Yes, please say it."

"Why don’t I fix the plan that I’ve ruined?"

Lieutenant Han's neat eyebrow rose up. She blinked as she waited for Ryujin to continue, so Ryujin opened her mouth and spoke earnestly.

"I still remember what you said that time."

"What did I say?"

"That you planned to use me to leak the information about the drugs to Jeong Jaehyun. You said that it was your original plan."

"That was our original plan."

She tried to hide it, but Lieutenant Han's stiff tone was laced with disappointment.