(27). Kill

"What bullshit are you saying now?”

Ryujin stopped dead in her tracks.

"He might not be up out front, but he’ll probably be watching everything through a screen. I heard it from our hyung-nim, so I’m pretty sure that’s the case."

"Why is he hiding around like a cop? It’s not like he’s watching us play around."

"I told you to fucking watch your mouth. It’s because he’s that careful that our organization is still afloat, you bastard. If not for him, those Serim sons of bitches would have infiltrated by now and killed us all."

The men’s voices came closer, so Ryujin went back and hid behind the bathroom wall. Her heart began to beat loudly. If what they said was true, then the head of YongSung was currently in the same building as her. She tried to calm down by telling herself that there was a chance it wasn’t true.

"I’ll be right back, so wait here."

She recalled what Hyunjin had said. If he had to get up from his seat to meet someone, then it meant that this person had to have a high position. It couldn’t hurt to make sure. Ryujin left the bathroom. Instead of heading back to the banquet hall, she silently began to walk around the first floor.

Even though there were may event venues on this floor, all the doors were locked. She couldn’t hear anything inside these rooms either. Was she mistaken? Ryujin pondered this as she walked back to the banquet hall. She walked towards the back entrance and saw that the party venue was still noisy and full of cigarette smoke. She still couldn’t see any sight of Hyunjin.

"……"

She stopped in her tracks. A red ‘X’ was sprayed onto the iron doors of an old elevator to indicate that it wasn’t operating. However, she saw someone push a cart inside and disappear.

There was no way someone outside of YongSung was in this building. All the gangsters were gathered in the banquet hall on the 1st floor.

There was no reason for the female employee to be pushing a bar cart full of liquor anywhere else. After the elevator doors closed, Ryujin quickly found the emergency staircase.

Holding her high heels in her hand, she ran upstairs. She needed to move faster than the elevator in order to find out which floor it was going to.

3rd floor.

5th floor.

8th floor.

Damn it. Was this all because she had picked the Wheel of Fortune card at a tarot stand at the beginning of the year? Was it a sign that the wheel would continue to turn until her death? Ryujin felt that she had been running constantly since Hong Kong. Just when she almost lost her breath and her legs had become tense from all the blood rushing to it, the elevator finally stopped with a ding.

"Haa…Haa…"

Just as the doors opened, Ryujin with heavy breathe quickly hid in the stairwell and panted silently. The corridor was absolutely silent. Afraid that her rapidly beating heart would be heard, Ryujin took in a deep breath and closed her mouth. The female employee pushed the cart across the dirty carpet of the corridor and finally stopped in front of a door at the end. She knocked on the closed door. Ryujin's eyes narrowed in the darkness.

A familiar face answered. It was the face of General Manager Choi, who had disappeared together with Hyunjin earlier. This meant that Hyunjin was in there as well.

The female employee pushed the cart full of liquor inside, and after about 5 minutes, she came back out. The employee got back on the elevator, and Ryujin waited for the doors to close shut. She slowly exited the stairwell and stepped into the corridor. A long sign with ‘SECURITY’ written across it was hanging next to the closed door. She could smell the faint scent of cigarette smoke coming from inside the room.