(30). The hidden Truth

"Did Jeong Jaehyun order you to kill me?"

Ryujin looked at him in shock. Hyunjin didn’t look disturbed at all. He merely looked at her with distant eyes as he continued to speak to her. Her uneasiness continued to grow.

"As I continued to move up in YongSung, Jeong Jaehyun began to grow suspicious of me. What I’m telling you is that you’re not the first person he sent to spy on me."

"There were seven people, Shin Ryujin-ssi. After they returned to Serim, they all went missing."

"Nine in total. Two of them died by my hands."

Hyunjin corrected the woman. Ryujin's mouth was dry, but she still swallowed. There was still one thing she couldn’t understand.

"Then why did you continue to keep me by your side even though you knew I was sent from Serim with orders to kill you?"

"……"

Hyunjin didn’t answer her question. Instead, the woman spoke.

"Shin Ryujin-ssi, YongSung’s project of developing a new drug is actually a front to smuggle drugs into the country."

"…So?"

Before she had shot Jackson Wang, she had already overheard this piece of information.

"We believed that if Shin Ryujin-ssi told Serim about these plans, Serim would definitely intervene. With that amount of Philopon being smuggled in, it would be enough for us to capture both YongSung and Serim in one go."

"Then couldn’t Hwang Hyunjin have told Jeong Jaehyun directly himself?"

"…If Jeong Jaehyun trusted me, he wouldn’t have sent you from the start."

"Haha."

Ryujin laughed bitterly. She felt that she finally understood what they were saying now.

"So what you’re saying is… you were just using me."

The reason why he kept her by his side even though he knew she was from Serim was because he wanted her to cloud Jaehyun's judgement. Realizing that she was being used this whole time felt more wretched than expected. Why was she so disappointed? She was planning on using him as well anyway. Her cloudy eyes became fierce.

"You must be frustrated that I’ve ruined everything. If everything went according to plan, I was supposed to relay this information to Serim. Am I right?"

Hyunjin, who had been silent, spoke up then.

"Why did you try to kill Jackson Wang?"

"Is he not dead yet?"

"He’s been hospitalized and is currently hooked to a respirator."

Ryujin bit her lips until she felt them sting. If she hadn’t been shot in the last moment, she would have been able to successfully hit his heart. If she had only been a second faster, she would have been able to kill him. Even if she died in the process, she would have dragged him to hell with her. She would have laughed at his miserable face.

"There’s no way Jeong Jaehyun ordered you to kill Jackson Wang. He knows more than anyone that it would cause a war between the two organizations. So why did you do it?"

Hyunjin asked again in confusion. Ryujin answered him with a gaunt, cold face.

"I… have no interest whatsoever in any of this that you’re all doing. Serim, YongSung… It’s all none of my business."

Hyunjin let out a heavy sigh as his eyes gleamed. As he had been heading over to the founding party with Ryujin, he went through all the possibilities. He had originally planned to take her to China with him to leak some of the information about their smuggling plans. However, he decided it would be better to let her listen in on his conversation instead of telling her directly, so he let her follow him.