(58). Dead

Ryujin looked at Lieutenant Han in confusion and let out a ragged breath.

"So you all waited here in order to capture Jeong Jaehyun? What about Hwang Hyunjin?"

"Superintendent Hwang is taking care of matters on Na Jaemin's side. According to the plan, we were supposed to meet when he was finished..."

Ryujin cut off Lieutenant Han's frustrating words and grabbed her.

"Are you not aware that he is currently in danger? He got caught. He was captured by Na Jaemin and... He's currently locked up inside the Chinese mafia's hideout."

Ryujin swallowed back her cries and began to speak incoherently.

"I'm the only one who escaped. The gangsters began to come after us, and I'm the only one who... I'm the only one..."

Ryujin finally made a decision and frantically grabbed Lieutenant Han. There was no time to explain.

"We need to go quickly. Let's go to him. I know where he is."

It wouldn't take long to get to him if they took the tunnel she had climbed out of.

"Shin Ryujin-ssi, calm down. We need to finish up over here before we can leave..."

"Is a criminal's arrest more important than your comrade's safety?!"

When Ryujin screamed, Lieutenant Han looked at her in shock.

"Shin Ryujin-ssi."

Ryujin let out a hot breath. She knew. She knew that Lieutenant Han wasn't the one who deserved her anger.

"...I'm sorry."

Ryujin muttered and bit her lip. A tear began to trickle down from her eye. The confusing puzzle began to all come together in her head.

When Hyunjin had sent her away on her own, he already knew what would happen. He knew that she would go looking for Jeong Jaehyun as soon as she escaped. He also knew that she would be in danger as she faced off with Jeong Jaehyun. So when he gave her a chance to execute her revenge, he also made sure that she stayed safe.

Having finally realized this, a sob burst out of Ryujin's mouth. Covered behind her tangled hair, tears began to run down her cheeks.

"Ryujin-ssi, are you alright?"

She couldn't hold back her emotions anymore. She wouldn't be able to see him ever again. Lieutenant Han looked helpless as she watched Ryujin sob.

"Ryujin-ssi..."

Although Lieutenant Han had only met Ryujin a handful of times, every time she had seen her, Ryujin always came across as a powerful woman. Seeing Ryujin shed tears as she cried sadly, Lieutenant Han didn't know what to do. Ryujin opened her mouth and began to stutter.

"In order to have my revenge, I ran away without looking back. That man even gave me the gun and stayed behind all because of me. Even though I knew he'd be in danger, I ran away all by myself."

Humans were all selfish. And she was no different. Until now, she had lived her life that way, and she had no regrets. However, not anymore. Even though she shot Jeong Jaehyun, even though she watched him get arrested, she didn't feel any better. Having her revenge by sacrificing another... She realized that she didn't want to have anything to do with it. But it was too late now.

"Shin Ryujin-ssi."

Lieutenant Han tried to calm her down, but Ryujin looked up at her with her bloodied face and begged her.

"You need to go there. That man... hurry up and save him..."

Ryujin already knew it was too late. Even so, she didn't think she could stand doing nothing.