1.8

"I like your look," Hazel complimented Eli as they strolled alongside Miguel and Aisha toward the mall.

"Yeah, you're a real badass now," Aisha agreed with a nod.

"I've been thinking of letting everyone call me Hawk from now on," Eli revealed as they continued walking.

"Really cool, but I have privileges of calling you Eli. Shit-" Hazel interrupted herself, glancing at a notification on her phone.

"What?" Miguel attempted to peek at her phone, but Hazel quickly hid it. "Hey! Don't look, I was going to tell you anyway," she retorted, rolling her eyes.

"You know that guy in our biology class who always tries to get paired with me?" Hazel asked Aisha, who nodded in response. "Well, he just sent me a DM asking for my number," she laughed, showing the message to Aisha, but Eli also took a peek.

"He's being a pussy. Why didn't he ask you in real life?" Eli sighed, rolling his eyes in disbelief.

"Are you really going to give him your number?" he asked, his eyes widening in concern.

"Nope. I like another guy from our year. But I might give him my number if he doesn't hurry," Hazel hinted, increasing her pace to walk beside her best friend, Aisha. Eli paused for a moment, pondering who the guy she was talking about could be.

Suddenly, he felt a hit to his stomach. Eli instinctively moved into a fighting position, but he quickly realized it was just Miguel. "She's talking about you, you idiot. She really likes you," Miguel revealed, smiling as he looked at Eli's bewildered expression.

"What?" Eli's eyes widened in surprise.
"I mean, who wouldn't?" he stuttered, attempting to cover his astonishment.

"I wanted to ask her out, but then I remembered your stupid rule," Eli grumbled, shaking his head with a sigh.

"Forget about it. I want my sister and my best friend to be happy," Miguel confessed earnestly. "Just don't mess it up, or I'll kill you," he warned playfully before resuming their journey.

Eli stood for a moment, processing the revelation, before hurrying to catch up with Miguel, a mix of excitement and nervousness swirling in his mind.

As they walked further, Eli's mind buzzed with thoughts, his heart racing with newfound hope. He stole glances at Hazel, noticing the way she laughed and the sparkle in her eyes as she spoke. Could it be true? Could she really have feelings for him?

Miguel's words echoed in his mind, fueling a surge of determination. He couldn't let this opportunity slip away. Strike first.

Taking a deep breath, Eli summoned his courage, ready to seize the moment and express his feelings to Hazel.

"Hazel," Eli began tentatively, falling into step beside her. She turned to him, her gaze curious. "Yeah?" she replied, a hint of anticipation in her voice.

"I... uh, I just wanted to say... I really enjoy spending time with you," Eli stammered, his cheeks flushing with embarrassment. Hazel thought he looked so cute "And, well, I was wondering if... maybe you'd like to go out with me sometime?"

Hazel's eyes widened in surprise, a soft smile tugging at her lips. "Eli, I... I would love to," she replied, her voice filled with warmth and sincerity. "I've been waiting for you to ask."
Relief washed over Eli as he exhaled deeply, a weight lifting from his shoulders. He couldn't believe his luck.

Hazel liked him too.

As they continued their walk, Eli felt a newfound sense of happiness and excitement. With Hazel by his side, he knew that anything was possible. And as they laughed and talked, Ell knew that this was just the beginning of something special.