5.3

The car ride back home was awkward. Johnny and Hazel were the only ones speaking since Miguel and Robby were too stubborn to talk to each other. The tension in the air was thick, making the journey feel even longer.

As they arrived home, Carmen greeted them warmly. "Breakfast is served. This is so sweet," she said, kissing Miguel on the cheek. "My dear, I love you so much. I can't handle this. How wonderful!"

Miguel smiled, embarrassed. "Oh, stop, Mom."

Hazel sighed, "You guys are always lovely."

Carmen turned to Hazel and hugged her tightly. "Oh, I missed you too, sweetheart!"

Johnny, standing a bit apart, remarked, "He'll think he can run away, come back, and get the love he wants."

Yaya, overhearing, said in Spanish, "Uh, yeah. He can."

Miguel looked earnest. "Don't worry. I'm never doing something like that again. I'm sorry."

Carmen nodded, her eyes filled with understanding. "I'm sorry, too, Miggy. Hazel, I should've told you the truth about how I left your father."

Hazel squeezed her mom's hand. "You did it for us. We understand that now."

Miguel, needing a moment, walked away towards the kitchen. "Okay, orange juice."

Carmen, switching back to Spanish, teased, "Oh, Miguel, are you going to visit your girlfriend? I bet she misses you. And you too, Hazel, you should visit Eli."

Miguel grinned. "Yeah. I think I need to make an apology meal for Sam too."

Hazel chuckled. "Yeah, I miss Eli so much."

As Miguel and Hazel walked towards the door, he playfully teased, "Ew! It's already disgusting that my best friend is dating my sister."

Hazel rolled her eyes. "Stop being dramatic, I didn't say anything!"

The door shut behind them, and the house settled into a quieter, more peaceful morning, the family finally reunited.

-

Hazel finally saw Eli after what felt like an eternity apart. As soon as she spotted him, she ran into his arms, hugging him tightly and kissing him.

"I missed you so much," Hazel whispered, her eyes sparkling with happiness.

"I missed you too, princess," Eli replied, holding her close.

Demetri, standing nearby, couldn't resist a sarcastic remark. "Glad to know you miss me too, Haze."

Miguel laughed, patting Demetri on the back. "If it's comforting to you, i'll let you know she didn't even act this way when she saw me. "

Demetri grinned. "Well, i'm glad we're all back together. Just like old times."

Hazel laughed and pulled Demetri into the hug. "Of course I missed you, Demetri."

Eli, feeling a pang of jealousy, wrapped his arm around Hazel's waist possessively. "Alright, that's enough. I'm not letting her go."

Demetri chuckled. "Relax, Eli. I'm not gonna steal your girlfriend."

Everyone laughed, the tension melting away as they enjoyed the moment together.

Hazel smiled at Eli, her eyes filled with love. "I'm so glad to be back with you."

Eli leaned down and kissed her forehead. "Me too. Let's not be apart for this long ever again."

Miguel, watching his sister and best friend, felt a sense of peace. Despite all the chaos, they were together, and that's what mattered.

Demetri, ever the comedian, added, "You know, next time, let's plan a less dramatic reunion. Maybe just a movie night?"