5.6

A few days had passed since the big family dinner, and Hazel had been busy with all the excitement surrounding her family and the impending arrival of Johnny and Carmen's baby. But she couldn't shake the feeling that she needed some quality time alone with Eli. Ever since she returned from Mexico, they hadn't had a moment just for themselves.

Eli had been understanding, giving her the space she needed to reconnect with her family. But now, Hazel wanted to show him just how much she appreciated his patience and support. So, she planned a special date night for them.

They decided to meet at their favorite spot by the beach, where the sunset painted the sky with hues of orange and pink. Eli was already there when Hazel arrived, sitting on a blanket with a picnic basket by his side. He stood up as she approached, his face lighting up with a smile that made her heart skip a beat.

"Hey, you," Hazel said, wrapping her arms around him in a warm hug.

"Hey yourself," Eli replied, kissing the top of her head. "I missed you, princess."

"I missed you too," Hazel said, pulling back to look into his eyes. "I'm sorry we haven't had much time together lately."

Eli shook his head. "Don't apologize. I know how important your family is to you. I'm just glad we have tonight."

They settled down on the blanket, the sound of the waves providing a soothing background. Hazel opened the picnic basket, revealing an array of their favorite foods—fresh fruit, sandwiches, and a bottle of sparkling cider.

"You went all out," Eli said, impressed.

Hazel shrugged with a smile. "I wanted tonight to be special."

They ate and talked, catching up on everything they had missed. Hazel shared stories from Mexico, and Eli filled her in on what had been happening back home. As the sun dipped below the horizon, they leaned against each other, content in their shared silence.

After a while, Eli turned to Hazel, his expression serious. "I want you to know that I'm here for you, Hazel. No matter what happens with our families or anything else, I want to be by your side."

Hazel felt a lump form in her throat. "I know, Eli. And I feel the same way. You've been so patient and understanding, and I can't thank you enough for that."

He reached out, taking her hand in his. "We're a team, princess. Always."

They stayed like that for a while, hands entwined, hearts in sync. Hazel felt a sense of peace wash over her, knowing that no matter what challenges lay ahead, she had Eli by her side.

The stars began to twinkle above them, they lay back on the blanket, looking up at the sky. Hazel felt Eli's arm around her, pulling her close.

"Do you ever think about the future?" Eli asked softly.

"All the time," Hazel replied, smiling. "And it always includes you."

Eli squeezed her hand gently. "Good. Because I can't imagine mine without you."

They stayed there, wrapped in each other's arms, dreaming of the future they would build together. For the first time in a long while, Hazel felt completely at ease. She knew that whatever came next, they would face it together, as a team. And that was all she needed.

As the night grew darker, the stars above them shone brighter, casting a gentle glow on Hazel and Eli as they lay on the blanket. The rhythmic sound of the waves crashing against the shore created a serene atmosphere, perfect for the intimate moment they were sharing.

Hazel turned her head to look at Eli, his profile outlined by the moonlight. She admired the way he had grown and matured since they first met, and she felt a deep sense of gratitude for having him in her life. She knew that their relationship was something truly special.

"Eli," she whispered, breaking the comfortable silence. "I can't tell you how much you mean to me. You've been my rock through everything."

Eli turned to face her, his eyes soft and filled with love. "Hazel, you mean the world to me. I would do anything for you. You're my everything."

Hazel felt tears welling up in her eyes, but they were tears of happiness. She leaned in and kissed him gently, pouring all her love and gratitude into that kiss. Eli responded with equal tenderness, and for a moment, everything else faded away.

When they finally pulled back, Hazel rested her head on Eli's chest, listening to the steady beat of his heart. "Let's make a promise," she said softly.

Eli tilted his head to look at her. "What kind of promise?"

"Let's promise to always communicate," Hazel said. "No matter what happens, let's talk things out and never keep anything from each other."

Eli nodded, his expression earnest. "I promise, Hazel. We'll always be honest with each other."

They sealed their promise with another kiss, feeling a renewed sense of commitment to their relationship. As they lay there, they talked about their dreams and aspirations, sharing their hopes for the future.

"We should travel together," Eli suggested. "See the world, experience new things."

Hazel smiled. "I'd love that. There's so much out there to explore, and I can't think of anyone I'd rather do it with than you."

They spent the rest of the night dreaming up adventures, from backpacking through Europe to exploring the vibrant streets of Tokyo. Each idea was met with excitement and enthusiasm, their imaginations running wild with possibilities.

As the night wore on, they reluctantly packed up their picnic and made their way back to Hazel's car. The drive back was filled with laughter and lighthearted banter, the kind that comes naturally to two people deeply in love.

When they finally arrived at Hazel's house, they lingered in the driveway, neither wanting the night to end. Eli walked her to the door, his hand never leaving hers.

"Tonight was perfect," Hazel said, looking up at him with a smile.

"It was," Eli agreed, leaning down to kiss her one last time. "Goodnight, beautiful princess."

"Goodnight, Eli," she whispered, watching as he walked back to his car.

Hazel stood at the door, feeling a warmth in her heart that she hadn't felt in a long time. She knew that no matter what challenges lay ahead, she and Eli would face them together. They were a team, and together, they could conquer anything.