Teenage Heroes

Braeden's POV

"Hah! Hah! Hah!" Lavana cried out as she continued throwing punches at the air.

She looked exhausted and was breathing heavily as she continued training.

"Lavana." I said her name as I approached her.

"B-Braeden...?" She said with confusion after she turned around and saw me. "How did you find me...?"

We were deep in a place called Maymont Park. It was a nature preserve in Richmond City, full of waterfalls and giant towering trees. Spex had told me that Kaiana used to take Lavana here all the time when she was growing up.

"Spex told me I could find you here." I said. "You've been gone for so long. What's up?"

Lavana sat down on the stone floor she stood on, and I sat next to her.

"What happened in Detroit is just bothering me." She said. "I couldn't do anything against Big Homie. I was taken out of the fight in an instant."

"It's okay though." I smiled. "We took care of things right?"

"That's the problem Braeden!" Lavana said. "How can I become a hero if I can't even defeat supervillains?! I'll die the exact same way my mom did!"

My eyes widened and I went quiet after Lavana said that. It's all adding up now... the reason why Lavana is the way she is. Her explosive outbursts, and her fiesty attitude...

"Lavana..." I started. "Are you... afraid?"

Tears formed in Lavana's eyes as she quickly turned away from me.

"I just... want to be the best hero I can. For my mom." She said, trying her best not to cry. "I'm scared of not being strong enough and dying the same way she did. That's why I try to stay as fired up as I can. When I feel fired up, I don't feel scared."

Her voice shook as she spoke as she tried her best to hold back her tears.

I walked over to her, and pulled her into a hug.

"Lavana... you won't die the same way as your mom. I promise. We won't let that happen." I told her as I felt her tears wet my shirt. "We're going to help you become as strong as you can."

"How...? I can't even legally fight against villains." I said.

I reached into my pocket, and showed her her official hero license, making her eyes widen with shock.

"H-How did you...?" She started.

"Spex gave it to me when I told him I was going to find you." I said. "He said you earned it after learning what it really means to be a hero, and I couldn't agree with him more."

She quickly wiped her tears, and accepted her license.

"I feel like I don't deserve this... after what happened against Big Homie I-" She started.

"You've gotta let that go Lavana." I told her. "If you keep living in the past, you'll never grow stronger."

She took a deep breath and finally smiled.

"Okay... okay you're right." She said, still sniffling a little. "I'll get stronger. I want to be able to be a hero my mom can be proud of. I'll fight as hard as I can."

I smiled back.

"That's the spirit-" I started when I was caught off guard at Lavana hugging me back.

"Thank you Braeden." She sweetly said.

"Of course." I happily said.

"NOW YOU BETTER NOT TELL ANYONE YOU SAW ME CRYING!" She boomed at me as she pointed her finger in my face.