133: ᴘʟᴇᴀꜱᴇ ꜱᴛᴀɴᴅ ʙʏ

●~●~●~●~●

Sami put a letter in Connie and Kelly's door around sunrise, asking them to meet him at his and Rosita's apartment, and then made his way back home.

Sleeping was hard since the surgery, but he hadn't gotten any sleep the night before. Rosita kept staying awake, talking about April, trying to piece it all together, and when he finally would get her to sleep, she'd wake up from nightmares about it.

Over a cup of coffee at four in the morning, Sami came up with the idea of calling Connie and Kelly, since they worked at the newspaper. They could help share what they'd found out. Maybe give closure to families. 

But it was risky. Who knew how deep it went.

But she was determined. 

So, around six AM, Connie and Kelly arrived at the apartment.

"Sorry it's so early." Sami sighed as he spoke, and they made their way into the living room. 

"Are you two okay?" Connie asked. "The letter seemed urgent."

"It is." He stood beside Rosita, as they all stood by the couch. "Uh, something . . . vile came up. we were trying to work out what to do, and came up with the idea of telling you guys, since you can reach everyone in the Commonwealth and you actually print the truth."

Connie nodded.

"So, what's up?" Kelly asked.

"Sebastian and some of his cronies forced Daryl and I to steal cash from an abandoned house outside the perimeter." Rosita told her. "There was a woman there. They had done this before. They had sent civilians in, and none of them made it out alive. They want us to stay quiet, but I keep thinking about that woman, April, and what they all went through .  . . There are good people here. They need to know the truth."

Connie stood there for a moment, before it seemed a light bulb went off in her head. 'Give me the note.'

Kelly nodded, pulling a list out of her bag. "Someone sent us a list of names of people when the ex-trooper went missing. We tried to figure it out, but . . . we just kept hitting dead ends. "

Connie showed something on the list to Kelly.

"April Martens." She read. "That could be her, right?"

"Let me see that." Rosita took the letter. "No, there are way more names here than Sebastian send into that house. Maybe it's related, but there's something else going on here."

"You're all talking so English," Sami said. "Making me feel weird."

Rosita elbowed him. "Be useful."

"You're talking weird."

'Whatever this is, if the Miltons are involved, they'll keep it locked up.' Connie signed. "We need inside access to dig it out."

Sami thought for a moment. "Doesn't Eugene's girlfriend work in state?"

"No, she left him." Rosita said.

"No, his second one."

She looked at him. "What?"

"There's a girl Rachel saw him with. Milton's secretary."

They all looked at him.

"It would work." Connie signed.

●~●~●~●~●

Eugene's girlfriend, Max, ended up being the actual girl that Sami heard on the radio all that time ago. Eugene didn't go into details, but the other was pretending. 

Max was Pamela's secretary, and had actually gotten a lot of evidence, though none of it made enough sense. There were photos of people being put on trains. Lists of the same names that Connie and Kelly had, but with numbers beside them, and at least another two hundred names.

They had everything she'd stolen spread out on a table in Sami's apartment, where he, Magna, Eugene, Max, Connie and Kelly were gathered. Sami'd gotten both Rosita and Coco to sleep, which was much easier now that Rosita felt she'd done something about it. Which meant that the group were talking in hushed, quiet voices, as not to wake them.

They didn't know enough yet. Or have enough proof. But they were taking and hiding people . . . somewhere. 

"So, we need a . . . specific thing?" Sami signed as he spoke. "Something that spells it out exactly?"

Connie nodded.

"Right. But we've got proof of Sebastian's heist. I mean, Rosita was there, and she said that April had a family. They'll know she's gone." 

Connie nodded. "I'll write about that. Hang it around Pamela's neck."

Kelly shrugged. "I mean, when everyone finds out that she's not on their side, they're gonna question everything about this place."

"Hence the aforementioned uprising." Eugene added.

Sami nodded. "We should have a way out."

"And leave these people?" Max questioned.

"No. Come back, help fix things, I just don't want the kids here when everything goes ass up. I mean, who knows how far these people will go to keep us quiet."

There was a knock at the door, and the group scrambled to clean up.

"No, no, it's okay!" Sami stood, walking over to the door. "It's fine, he's here to help."

He opened the door, and Ezekiel hurried in. He'd been busy since his operation, starting his own public clinic in the petting zoo, only for humans who couldn't get surgeries at the hospital. It was brilliant. Sami's plan was to help him out with it, but he didn't know how he could.

"Sorry I'm late." He shut the door behind him and made his way over to the others. "Trying to round up a few more for the cause."

"I told Ezekiel, and he said we'd need people." Sami told them, signing as he spoke again. "To help push this, get it out."

"And I've got a whole network of people, ready to ride at dawn."

Connie looked around the table at everyone gathered. 'We're doing this?'

No one made any objections, and Sami wondered if it was a good plan. Maybe they should leave things how they were. 

But then he remembered that's what made the world so horrible before. People standing by. It didn't effect them, It was easy to ignore. So, they did. Entire lives of people, just as alive as you, ruined. Destroyed. And the people who could help stood by because it was easy. 

So, he didn't say anything. He'd help them with this fight, as strange as it was. 

🐳🐳🐳🐳

Sami's gonna go crazy i swear he's just a homebird at the moment leave him to it

That's why we've got Danny's story going, too, just so that it's still interesting, you know? Cause Sami's hell bloody domestic atm