137: ʀᴇᴠᴏʟᴜᴛɪᴏɴ

●~●~●~●~●

The paper article went out - PAMELA MILTON LYING TO US ALL. And by 12 that day, there was a crowd of people outside the town hall. Chanting. 

'WE WANT JUSTICE! BRING US SEBATIAN NOW!" 

Sami still found it strange. It felt silly. Like playing with your friend and her toys as her parents argue and throw plates at each other in the other room. It just felt strange. Like they were almost adding to a distraction, or focusing on the wrong thing.  

Most people had signs with photos of the lost people on them. He saw photos of April. Signs that said 'people for money'. He was just more confused by it all.

'Citizens of the Commonwealth,' Pamela's voice sounded from speakers in front of the hall, which was closed off to the public, as Sami walked towards the crowd. 'This is your Governor, Pamela Milton. And I want you all to know this so-called report is nothing but lies meant to sow fear and anger in people who had suffered enough. But I know my son. He couldn't have done the horrible things that he's accused of. He is a good young man. And the Commonwealth is his home. He would never do anything to undermine the safety and stability of our great community. . . "

"She hid straight away." Sami said, as he walked over to Connie and Kelly, Rosita beside him. "I think this might get ugly. I mean, listen to the shit she's saying, the way she's saying it. We've seen how far she's willing to go, what about when she doesn't have to hide it?"

"We need to be ready to help these people." Ezekiel said. 

Magna was there, too. "It's only a matter of time before things get worse. We- we need options."

"What, leave?" Kelly asked.

Sami shook his head. "We can't leave until Daryl and everyone is back, or we'll just end up all over the place. Citizens are being civil and law abiding, she's just gotta do the same."

He felt a tap on his shoulder, and turned to Rosita, who pulled him away from the others, gesturing to Mercer, who was leading a group of peacekeepers around the crowd.

"Told you." Sami said. "Remember the shit from before? What used to happen even peaceful protesters?"

"Some people took it too far."

"Yeah, the cops."

Mercer spotted them, and walked over, looking at Rosita. "What are you doing out of uniform?"

"Personal day." She answered.

"Not today. Not with all this."

"This isn't my problem. It's not yours, either."

He got something on his walkie, and spoke to it, turning away from them.

"Told you your job sucks." Sami looked over the crowd again.

"And yours doesn't?"

"I need you today." Mercer turned back to them. "These people need you." He looked at Sami. "You should join the force. You did well the other day."

"I don't follow orders well."

"I don't . . . " Rosita trailed off as Mercer walked off.

"Just don't go." Sami said, as he watched Mercer walked off. "You don't have a shift, so if they fire you you can file for unfair dismissal."

Rosita shook her head. "Nah, I should see if I can do something. You should check on Carol and the kids. I want to talk to you later, remind me."

He furrowed his eyebrows. "About what?"