Chapter 16: A Kiss in the Dark

Aari woke up feeling unusually light-headed, a lingering effect from the fainting spell she had experienced. She decided to take a day off from everything, needing time to recuperate both physically and emotionally. As she relaxed at home, trying to shake off the remnants of dizziness, an email notification popped up on her phone.

It was a job offer from the company she had been eagerly awaiting. The position of Channel Development Manager—a significant step forward in her career. Excitement mixed with apprehension as she realized this job would demand more of her time, possibly affecting her blossoming relationship with Sebastian.

She took a deep breath and replied, accepting the offer. As she navigated the first week in her new role in New York, she found herself engulfed in work, her conversations with Sebastian becoming less frequent due to the time difference and hectic schedule. Though they spoke on the phone, Aari sensed a growing gap between them.

Two weeks later, she returned from her business trip, eager to reconnect with Sebastian. However, what she discovered shattered her heart—Sebastian was seeing someone else at the gym. Shock and hurt threatened to overwhelm her, but she maintained a strong façade, reassuring herself that their relationship had been casual.

That evening, she returned home, wanting to see Sebastian one last time, to hug him goodbye in her heart. The next day, her scheduled gym visit coincided with her day off. She dressed in black shorts that accentuated her legs and a crop top, wanting to look and feel confident, despite the ache in her heart.

To her relief, Sebastian wasn't at the gym when she arrived. As she prepared to change the music on her phone, she accidentally paused it, inadvertently hearing footsteps that she recognized all too well—Sebastian's.

Ignoring his greetings, Aari focused on pretending to listen to her music until Sebastian tapped her shoulder. Sebastian greeted her with a friendly "Hi" and asked what she was doing in the gym. Reluctantly, she acknowledged him with a simple "hi," maintaining a light tone by jokingly saying she was there to sell coke, then laughing it off with a casual remark about working out.

Sebastian seemed taken aback but insisted on catching up after their workouts. Aari deflected, claiming to be busy. Days passed, and soon it was Aari's birthday on August 14th. Sebastian and Kevin both wished her well, with Kevin suggesting they celebrate by watching a movie. Aari hesitated, unsure about spending more time with Sebastian, but Kevin's persistence eventually persuaded her.

Later that evening, Aari got ready for the movie, choosing the sexiest outfit she could find—a sleek, form-fitting black dress that accentuated her curves and exuded confidence. Despite her reservations, she joined Sebastian and Kevin at the theater showing "Fast & Furious: Hobbs & Shaw."

She arrived late, letting them start without her. As she entered the theater, her gaze fell on the seat next to Sebastian—empty. Watching the movie beside him proved torturous; the proximity heightened the unresolved tension between them, intensifying with every passing moment.

During the interval, Aari went to buy drinks and popcorn, with Sebastian accompanying her at Kevin's insistence. As they returned to their seats, she could feel Sebastian's eyes on her, and their hands brushed accidentally when reaching for popcorn, sending a jolt through both of them.

By the end of the movie, the tension had become palpable. Unable to resist any longer, Sebastian took Aari's hand and led her out of the theater. They found themselves in a secluded corner, their gazes locked in a silent conversation filled with desire and yearning. Without a word, Sebastian pulled her closer, his lips meeting hers in a passionate kiss that spoke volumes of their unspoken feelings.

In that moment, everything else faded away as they embraced the undeniable pull between them, their hearts racing in sync with the intensity of their kiss.

Aari's world spun with the intensity of Sebastian's kiss, igniting a fire that had smoldered between them for so long. As they embraced in that secluded corner of the theater, the outside world faded into insignificance. Their lips moved together in a dance of longing and passion, each kiss deepening their connection and affirming the unspoken feelings they had buried.

For Aari, it was a whirlwind of conflicting emotions—desire mingled with hurt, longing intertwined with betrayal. She clung to Sebastian, losing herself in the intoxicating moment yet knowing deep down that their relationship had taken an unexpected turn, leading her down an uncertain path.

As they reluctantly pulled apart, their breaths mingling in the quiet space, Aari couldn't shake the feeling of unease that settled in her heart. Sebastian looked at her with a mix of regret and longing, his eyes searching hers for understanding and forgiveness.

But before either of them could speak, the sound of footsteps interrupted their moment, pulling them back to reality. Aari quickly composed herself, putting on a brave face as she silently vowed to confront the truth that lay between them.

Aari walked away, her mind racing with unanswered questions and emotions in turmoil. She knew she needed time to process what had just happened, to unravel the complexities of her feelings for Sebastian and the unexpected twist their relationship had taken.

As she stepped out into the cool evening air, the uncertainty of her future loomed ahead, casting a shadow over the once bright spark of hope that had ignited between them.

After their intense encounter at the theater, Aari retreated into the familiar solitude of her home, grappling with the tumult of emotions stirred by Sebastian's kiss. Her phone buzzed incessantly with missed calls from him, each one a stark reminder of the unresolved tension between them. Despite the persistent ringing, Aari chose to ignore the calls, needing time to process everything that had transpired.

After two and a half years, Aari found herself unexpectedly receiving a call from Sebastian.