Chapter 77: A Dance with Shadows

Aari stood in front of the full-length mirror in her room, her heart heavy with the weight of the decision she had made. She was about to get ready for her engagement, a ceremony that felt more like a death sentence than a celebration. The shimmering gown Theo had chosen for her lay on the bed, its ethereal beauty mocking her in the dim light of the room.

Nikol's life depended on her going through with this, on her pretending that she was willingly walking down the aisle to become Mrs. Russo. But as she reached for the gown, the reality of her situation settled over her like a suffocating blanket. The man she loved, the man she would do anything for, was out there, in danger, and she was about to pledge herself to another man in a twisted, sickening mockery of love.

She took a deep breath, trying to steady herself as she slipped out of her robe and into the dress. The fabric was cool against her skin, the delicate lace brushing against her back as she fastened the buttons. But as she looked at her reflection, something felt off. It wasn't just the heaviness in her chest or the knot in her stomach—there was something else. A tingling at the back of her neck, a shiver down her spine.

Aari's breath caught in her throat as she looked around the room, her eyes scanning the shadows for any sign of movement. The feeling of being watched was unmistakable, but the room was empty. She shook her head, trying to dismiss the sensation as nothing more than nerves. She was about to marry Theo, after all—of course she was on edge.

But the feeling persisted, growing stronger with each passing second. She turned back to the mirror, staring at her reflection as if it could offer her some reassurance. But instead, she saw something that made her blood run cold. Her reflection stared back at her, but the light in the room dimmed, flickering as if the power was about to go out.

Suddenly, the room was plunged into darkness, the silence broken only by the sound of her own breathing. Panic surged through her, and she reached out blindly, trying to find something to hold onto, but before she could, she was pulled back with a force that knocked the air out of her lungs.

She slammed into the wall, her body pinned by an unseen presence. Aari struggled, her heart racing as she felt a hand on her back, tracing the outline of her dress with a touch that was both familiar and terrifying. The breathless fear that gripped her began to mix with something else—recognition.

"So excited to be Mrs. Russo?" The voice was low, thick with a British accent that sent a jolt of electricity through her. It was a voice she knew all too well, one that had haunted her dreams and fueled her darkest desires. "I never knew you'd be so eager to walk down the aisle."

Aari's breath hitched, her mind reeling as she tried to make sense of what was happening. "Nikol?" she whispered, her voice trembling.

The grip on her tightened, and she felt his hand move from her back to her neck, his touch both possessive and tender. "Yes, Missy, it's me," Nikol whispered against her ear, his breath hot against her skin. "Missed me?"

Aari's body shivered with anticipation as his hand slid down from her neck, tracing the curve of her spine with maddening slowness. She could feel his presence behind her, his body pressing into hers as he held her against the wall, his touch sending shivers down her spine. He was playing with her, teasing her in that way only he could, and despite everything, she found herself craving more.

"Now say that name again, louder this time," Nikol ordered, his voice a seductive growl. "And tell me who you belong to."

Before she could respond, his lips were on her neck, sucking and nipping at her skin in a way that made her knees weak. Aari moaned, her body betraying her as it responded to his touch, the fear and tension of moments ago melting away into something far more dangerous—desire.