Chapter 71: Promises and Maybe

The morning sunlight filtered through the curtains, casting a warm glow across the room. Aari stirred, stretching out beside Nikol, who was still asleep. She watched him for a moment, his usually intense features softened in the quiet of sleep. A smile tugged at her lips as she brushed her fingers gently across his cheek.

Nikol's eyes fluttered open, locking onto hers. "Morning, Missy," he murmured, his voice husky with sleep.

Aari smiled, leaning down to press a soft kiss to his lips. "Morning," she whispered. She pulled back slightly, her expression shifting to one of curiosity. "Nikol, can I ask you something?"

Nikol raised an eyebrow, a hint of caution in his gaze. "Of course."

She hesitated for a moment, then plunged in. "I want to know everything about you. Your past, your present, your future. I want to know who you really are."

Nikol stiffened slightly, his eyes narrowing as he tried to hide the discomfort her questions brought. "Why don't we start the day with something a little more... fun?" His voice took on a seductive tone as he pulled her closer, his hands roaming over her bare skin.

Aari giggled, momentarily distracted by his touch. But as they moved towards the shower, her resolve returned. "You can't dodge this forever, Nikol," she murmured as the warm water cascaded over them. "I want to know everything."

Nikol leaned in, capturing her lips in a deep kiss, hoping to derail her questions once more. But as they stepped out of the shower, Aari was relentless. She grabbed a towel, wrapping it around herself as she watched him, determination burning in her eyes.

"Nikol, I'm serious," she said firmly, walking over to him and straddling his lap as he sat on the edge of the bed. She let the towel slip slightly, revealing just enough to tempt him. Her fingers traced circles on his chest as she leaned in, her breath warm against his ear. "Tell me," she whispered seductively.

Nikol's resolve wavered as her lips brushed against his neck. He tried to focus, but her proximity was intoxicating. "Aari," he started, his voice strained, "this isn't necessary."

She ignored his resistance, pressing her body closer to his. "When's your birthday?" she asked, her tone light but insistent.

"August 10th," he replied, his hands gripping her hips as he tried to maintain control.

"Favorite color?" she continued, her lips trailing down his jawline.

"Black," he answered, his voice a little breathless.

"Favorite destination?" she asked, her eyes locking onto his with a playful smile.

"St. Petersburg," Nikol admitted, trying to regain his composure. But she wasn't done.

"What about your vulnerabilities, Nikol?" Aari's tone shifted, becoming more serious as she searched his eyes. "What scares you?"

Nikol froze, the question hitting too close to home. He tried to deflect, his hands sliding down her back, but Aari was persistent.

"And our future?" she whispered, her lips brushing against his ear. "Is there a forever for us?"

"Yes, forever," Nikol responded automatically, his mind clouded with desire.

"You mean marriage?" Aari pressed, her voice soft but determined.

Nikol's eyes darkened as he pulled back slightly. "No, I can't marry," he said, his tone firm. "Why do we have to? I promise we can stay together forever, but marriage... it's not for me."

Aari's heart sank, the words cutting deeper than she expected. "What about kids?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

Nikol hesitated, his gaze dropping to the floor. "No, I'm not ready to share you," he admitted, his voice laced with vulnerability. "I mean, not right now. Maybe later."

The "maybe" hung in the air, heavy and uncertain. Aari felt her heart break a little at the uncertainty in his voice. She forced a smile, nodding as she climbed off his lap. "Okay," she whispered, wrapping the towel tightly around herself.

Nikol's phone buzzed on the nightstand, breaking the tension. He picked it up, reading the message with a frown. "New information on Dmitri Ivano. Meeting in half an hour. - Aiden." Nikol's expression hardened as he stood up, grabbing his clothes.

"I have to go," he said, his tone brusque as he started dressing. "If you go somewhere, just let me know."

Aari bristled at his commanding tone. "I'm not a kid, Nikol," she shot back, her voice laced with frustration. "You can't just order me around."

Nikol paused, then turned to her, his expression softening slightly. "Aari, please," he murmured, stepping closer to her. "I just need to know you're safe."

She crossed her arms, her eyes defiant. "I'm fine, Nikol. You don't have to control everything."

Nikol sighed, pulling her into a quick, heated kiss. "Do it," he whispered against her lips, his voice both tender and authoritative, "or shall I make you?"

Aari's eyes flashed with a mix of challenge and desire. "Make me," she dared, her voice low.

Nikol's eyes darkened with lust as he pushed her back onto the bed, his hands moving with urgency as he claimed her once more. The intensity of their encounter left them both breathless, but as Nikol pulled away and began to leave, Aari couldn't shake the hollow feeling in her chest.

As he reached the door, Nikol turned back to her, his gaze lingering for a moment. "I'll see you later," he said, his voice softer now, almost apologetic.

Aari nodded, forcing a smile. "Be careful," she whispered, her heart aching with the weight of the unanswered questions between them.

Nikol hesitated for a moment, then walked out, leaving Aari alone with her thoughts. The silence of the room was deafening, the warmth of their earlier intimacy now overshadowed by the cold reality of their unspoken fears.

As the door clicked shut behind him, Aari curled up on the bed, her mind racing with thoughts of their uncertain future. She knew she loved him, but could love alone bridge the growing chasm between them? Could she live with the "maybe" that now hung over their relationship like a dark cloud?

Aari sighed, burying her face in the pillow as she tried to push the doubts away. But deep down, she knew the questions would haunt her until they found the answers—together or apart.