Chapter 31: Echoes of a Broken Heart

Aari stepped into her apartment, her eyes swollen from crying. She felt completely drained, both emotionally and physically. Without wasting a second, she made her way to the washroom and retched violently. Every wave of nausea seemed to bring back a memory of Aaron, making her heart ache even more.

After what felt like an eternity, she washed her face with cold water, hoping to soothe her red, puffy eyes. She stared at her reflection, feeling a wave of exhaustion wash over her. With slow, deliberate movements, she made her way to her bedroom and changed into her favorite comfy clothes: a pair of soft, grey sweatpants and an oversized, faded blue hoodie that smelled faintly of Aaron's cologne.

As she removed her dress, she noticed the dark love bite next to her cleavage, a stark reminder of their passionate moments. A blush crept across her cheeks as memories of Aaron flooded her mind. She could almost feel his touch, hear his voice whispering her name. Overcome with emotion, she grabbed her phone and called Aaron.

"Did you get home okay?" she asked, her voice trembling slightly.

"I just dropped my friend off. I'll be home in a few minutes," Aaron replied. His voice was a soothing balm to her frazzled nerves. "You should try to sleep, Aari. Put your phone away and get some rest."

"I will," she promised, though she doubted she could. "Goodnight, Aaron."

"Goodnight, Aari. Sweet dreams."

She hung up and tried to sleep, but her thoughts kept swirling, preventing her from finding any peace. The days passed in a blur, each one harder than the last as Aaron's departure loomed closer. Her love for him was growing more intense, making it increasingly difficult to face the inevitable goodbye.

One day, Aaron planned to spend some time with her. Despite feeling sick the night before, he showed up, determined to make the most of their time together. They spent the day wrapped up in each other, capturing moments with photos in front of the mirror.

They took silly pictures, making funny faces and posing with exaggerated expressions. In one photo, Aaron stood behind Aari, his arms wrapped around her waist, both of them smiling softly. In another, Aari leaned against Aaron, their foreheads touching, eyes closed, savoring the closeness.

As the day wore on, Aari started to feel dizzy. Her blood sugar had dropped, and Aaron quickly got her some chocolates to help. She knew her heart couldn't take another heartbreak; the torment of losing him was too much to bear.

While they were chilling in the car, Aari captured videos of Aaron as he used his phone, wanting to remember every detail of him. She put on a brave face, trying to smile despite the ache in her heart. She knew this was their last meeting before he left.

She wanted to beg him to stay, to cancel his plans and build a life with her. But she knew how much going to Canada meant to him; he had been trying to go since before the pandemic. Now that he finally had his chance, she didn't want to be the reason he stayed behind. All she wanted was to support him, even if it broke her heart.

As they sat together, the reality of their impending separation hit her hard. She looked at Aaron, her eyes filled with unshed tears. "Please don't go," she whispered in her mind. But she knew she couldn't say it out loud. Instead, she reached out and took his hand, holding it tightly.

Aaron turned to her, sensing her turmoil. He pulled her into a comforting hug, whispering reassurances in her ear. Aari clung to him, wishing they could stay like this forever. But time was relentless, and soon it was time for Aaron to go.

With one last, lingering hug, they said their goodbyes. Aari watched him walk away, feeling like a part of her was leaving with him. She knew she had to be strong, but it felt impossible. As she drove home, her heart heavy with sorrow, she vowed to support Aaron no matter what, even if it meant enduring the pain of their separation.