Chapter 84: Fractured Trust

As the black sedan glided through the dimly lit streets, Aari leaned her head against the cool glass of the window. The night air was heavy with the scent of rain, and the rhythmic sound of tires against asphalt lulled her into a restless slumber. Nikol, sitting in the driver's seat, occasionally glanced at her reflection, worry etched across his features.

"Aari?" he said, breaking the silence.

She stirred, her brow furrowed with discomfort. "I'm okay," she whispered, though the pallor of her skin betrayed her.

As they pulled up to her house, Aari felt a wave of nausea wash over her. "Nikol," she murmured, "I don't feel so good."

His heart raced as he turned to face her. "We're going home, and I'm calling a doctor."

"No," she protested weakly, shaking her head. "Dad won't like it. Lily's here with me. I'll go tomorrow. It's probably just fatigue."

Concern knitted his brows together, but he nodded reluctantly. He would not push her, not tonight, but the unease gnawed at him like a relentless beast.

Once they dropped off Lily and Aari at home, Nikol lingered at the door, his instincts prickling with unease. "Call me if you need anything, okay?"

Aari forced a smile, even as a wave of dizziness washed over her. "I will."

The next day, Aari awoke in a haze, the sickness clinging to her like a shroud. Lily had insisted on accompanying her to the doctor, her worry evident in every glance.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Lily asked, adjusting her jacket as they stepped into the sterile clinic.

"I'll be fine," Aari replied, though her voice lacked conviction.

After a brief wait, the doctor entered the room, his demeanor professional yet tinged with a gravity that made Aari's heart sink.

"Miss Arison," he began, "we need to run some tests."

The words felt heavy in the air, and Aari nodded, anxiety coursing through her veins.

After what felt like an eternity, the doctor returned with a report, his expression unreadable. "I need a moment with you in private," he said, glancing at Lily.

"No way I'm leaving my sister alone," Lily retorted, her protective instincts flaring.

"It's fine," Aari said, forcing a brave smile. "I'll be okay."

Lily's reluctance was palpable, but she stepped out, casting a wary look back at Aari before closing the door behind her.

The doctor cleared his throat, and Aari's heart raced, dread pooling in her stomach. "I'm afraid your heart condition has worsened. You have about three years to live."

Aari's breath caught in her throat. "What?"

"And," he continued gently, "you're pregnant. If you continue the pregnancy, your life expectancy drops to one year, and there's a high risk you might not survive childbirth."

Shock washed over her, leaving her reeling. The world blurred around her, and the sterile room felt suffocating.

"Please, you need to tell your partner," the doctor urged, concern deepening his voice.

Aari shook her head violently. "No! You can't tell Nikol," she gasped, the words spilling out like a desperate plea. "He'll want to terminate it without a second thought."

The doctor's expression softened, but he remained firm. "You have to make a decision, Aari. Terminating the pregnancy could save your life."

Tears brimmed in her eyes, but she swallowed them down. "No," she whispered fiercely. "I can't do that. I won't."