Chapter 57: Unintended Proximities

At the hotel, the receptionist informed them of the booking mistake. Nikol's temper flared, and he approached the desk with a steely gaze.

"This is utterly unacceptable," he said, his voice cold and precise. "My manager booked two suites. How is it possible that you have none available?"

The receptionist, flustered, stammered, "I'm very sorry, Mr. Russo. There seems to have been a mix-up in our system. We only have one room left."

Nikol's eyes narrowed. "Do you have any idea who I am? I could buy this entire establishment if I wished. How do you intend to rectify this situation?"

The receptionist, now visibly shaking, replied, "We can offer a complimentary stay for your next visit, Mr. Russo. And we will ensure that the suite is to your satisfaction."

Nikol's jaw tightened, his frustration palpable. "That is hardly sufficient. I demand immediate resolution."

The manager stepped in, trying to defuse the situation. "Mr. Russo, we deeply apologize for this inconvenience. We understand your needs and assure you that this is a rare occurrence. We will do everything we can to make your stay pleasant."

Nikol was livid. "Rare occurrence or not, this is unacceptable. I have specific requirements. I need space, privacy, and the amenities that come with a suite. I will not be crammed into a single room like a common traveler."

The manager, sweating now, said, "I understand, sir. We are trying our best to accommodate you. We can move you to a suite as soon as one becomes available."

Aari, feeling bad for the staff, stepped in. "Nikol, it's fine. I'll sleep on the sofa. It's just for two days."

Nikol shot her a look, torn between frustration and admiration. "Ms. Arison, this is not your problem to solve. This is a matter of principle."

Aari placed a hand on his arm, calming him. "Nikol, it's okay. We can manage. Let's not make a scene."

He clenched his jaw, the thought of spending the night in close proximity to her driving him crazy. "Very well," he said through gritted teeth. "But I will be speaking with the owner about this."

The receptionist, visibly relieved, nodded. "Thank you for your understanding, Mr. Russo. We will do everything we can to make your stay pleasant."

As they headed to their shared room, Nikol's mind raced with conflicting emotions. He loved her,  and being so close to her would be both heaven and hell.. He couldn't afford to let his guard down, not now. The temptation was too great, and he had too much to lose.

In the room, Aari flopped onto the sofa, looking around with a tired but amused expression. "Well, this is cozy," she said with a laugh. "Are you sure you don't want to share the bed? It's big enough for both of us."

Nikol stiffened, his heart racing. "No, the sofa will suffice for you. I will take the bed."

Aari smirked, her eyes twinkling with mischief. "Suit yourself, Mr. Russo. Just don't snore too loudly. I need my beauty sleep."

Nikol couldn't help but smile, despite himself. "I'll try to keep that in mind."

As Aari settled onto the sofa, she glanced over at Nikol, who was still standing by the bed, clearly tense. She decided to break the silence.

"You know, Nikol, you really need to lighten up," she said, her tone teasing. "It's just a couple of nights. We're both adults. I promise I won't bite."

Nikol, trying to maintain his cold demeanor, replied, "It's not about that,  Ms Arison. It's about professionalism and boundaries."

Aari rolled her eyes. "Boundaries, huh? Like the one you crossed when you decided to carry me off the plane?" She smirked, watching for his reaction.