Chapter 33: Cracks in the Foundation

Her heart raced with a mix of excitement and nervousness. She thought about telling him about her plans to move to Canada, hoping it might make things better between them. But she hesitated, unsure if it was the right move. 

A few days later, it was the eve of Aari's birthday. Her brother Jace had planned everything meticulously. He booked a place, invited all of Aari's friends, and made sure Seb would be there too. Aari decided she wanted to do MDMA that night. She wanted to see if the euphoric feelings she had experienced on Aaron's birthday were due to the drugs or just being with him. She wanted to feel happy, even if it was artificial.

As the party kicked off, Aari felt a buzz of excitement. She had a few drinks, played some games, and laughed more than she had in a long time. Seb sat next to her, his presence comforting and familiar. Despite the chaos of the party, Aari felt a sense of peace, at least for a little while.

Later, she slipped away to a quiet room, her mind swirling with thoughts of Aaron. She picked up her phone and called him, her heart pounding in her chest.

"Hi," Aaron answered, his voice making her heart skip a beat.

"What are you doing?" she asked, trying to sound casual.

"I'm out with my friends, just doing some shopping. What about you?" he replied.

"My friends are throwing a party because it's my birthday," she said, her voice trembling slightly.

"Happy birthday," he said warmly. "I remembered. I was planning to call you after I got home, but you called first."

Aari felt a rush of emotions, the drugs amplifying her feelings. "I want something for my birthday," she said, her voice wavering.

"I know what you want," Aaron said softly.

"What do I want?" she asked, her curiosity piqued.

"You want us to be together," he replied.

Aari's heart ached. "I want to know the truth," she said.

"Okay, ask," Aaron said, his tone serious.

"Did you really lose feelings for me?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

"No," Aaron admitted. "I didn't want to do long distance, so I lied."

Aari felt a mix of relief and sadness wash over her. Before she could respond, her best friend took the phone from her.

"Listen, Aari cries for you every day, bro. Just don't leave her," her friend said to Aaron.

"I'll never leave her. Thanks for telling me that," Aaron replied.

Her friend handed the phone back to Aari, who felt overwhelmed by the conversation and the effects of the MDMA. Aaron's voice softened as he spoke to her again.

"Yes, I do something to you, don't I?" he teased gently, reminding her of their shared moments.

They talked for a while longer, Aaron sensing how drunk and emotional Aari was. "Aari, we'll talk when you're sober, okay? Just give me a call once you're home," he said kindly.

Aari nodded, even though he couldn't see her. "Okay, I will," she promised, her heart feeling a little lighter despite the confusion and sadness.

The night continued, and Aari tried to enjoy herself, but her mind kept drifting back to Aaron. She knew she had to face her feelings and make a decision about her future. The path ahead was still unclear, but she felt a glimmer of hope, knowing that Aaron's feelings hadn't changed. As she rejoined the party, she resolved to take things one step at a time, starting with a call to Aaron the next day.